Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum project 2010

June 03, 2010 10:59AM | Forum project 2010
So I know last year we did H,WNTMG, and the year before that was No Saftey, and a while before that was Postcards to the Mountain Goats, and even longer was Quetzalcoatl Buys A Tapedeck, and while I'm sure there's no stopping another yearly rendition of Mountain Goats covers orchestrated by your favorite posters, I was thinking you all might be interested in a change up to the norm.

Okay so, this is the closest place I can think of to a Simon Joyner collective, he along with many of the Mountain Goats closer musicians don't really have the community built upon their music as definitively, so it's been brewing in my head for a while now that we should do something in the same vein as those cover projects. So my idea is to have a wonderful talented group of people recording their takes on songs from Room Temperature. There are fifteen songs and I'd probably divvy out via random lottery, it'd be great to get one song per person but if there aren't enough interested we can work around it.

I wish I could say we'd get this published too, but I can't fund that so at the worst I'd end up just making it a digital download, or distro via CD-Rs.
There are too little Simon Joyner covers out there in the world, I heard Franklin Bruno cover The Shortest DIstance Between Two Points is a Straight Line once, but other than that I don't know of any covers.
Whaddaya say? Anyone interested?

People who are confirmed & participating:
Mr. Glass
Blackliner
Evil Eivind
Kaytree
DTrom
Layladarling
Shlack
iatethelotus
Jonty
Jonboulay

Tracklist:
Folk Song for Sara
The Shortest Distance Between Two Points Is a Straight Line
Ruby Slippers
Hallelujah
Double Joe
Ghettoblaster
Godzilla
Vegetables
Seizure
Pseudonym Song
Scribble
Homebase
Petri-dish
The Leavenworth Cafe Blues
Grapefruit

If you wanna be randomly selected for one of the open slots send me an email.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 11:46AM by Mr Glass.
June 03, 2010 12:01PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Room Temperature? That's a really interesting idea, but how many people know the album? I have it on my ipod but it's been maybe years. I'll listen to it next.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[sordidalley.blogspot.com]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 03, 2010 12:13PM | Re: Forum project 2010
I was under the assumption that a lot of people really enjoyed and found it as one of his more memorable works. I know when I try getting people into SJ that's the introductory album, it delivers very consistently, song after song.

EDIT: but if anyone has any other suggestions for another album don't hesitate.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 12:32PM by Mr Glass.
June 03, 2010 01:13PM | Re: Forum project 2010
It just always feels amatuerish to me. Beautiful Loser might be good, it kind of encompasses everything that is Joyner.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 03, 2010 02:28PM | Re: Forum project 2010
I think this is kind of a cool idea.
June 03, 2010 02:33PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Good news, I got my old noisecore band back together to do this cover. I'm stoked. Which song do I get?
June 04, 2010 05:13PM | Re: Forum project 2010
We'll see when the list starts getting filled up.

Laughin Out Loud
June 04, 2010 06:01PM | Re: Forum project 2010
i might be game for this.

also, i'd like to weigh in and say that room temperature > beautiful losers. sorry, fever. by its very nature, i think the scattershot and inconsistent quality of beautiful losers works against it just a bit. when i listen to room temperature, i tend to listen to the whole record; i reach to beautiful losers when i want to hear a particular track. and i like the tension of taking a more coherent record and having each track interpreted by a different artist.

on second thought, turns out I kinda suck at recommending things to people.

its flaws were what made us have fun.
June 04, 2010 08:58PM | Re: Forum project 2010
alex, i'm maybe probably in. i don't have that album though, so we might have to discuss.

i just sit here in my cave and absorb your facts and figures.
June 04, 2010 09:09PM | Re: Forum project 2010
thom
i might be game for this.

also, i'd like to weigh in and say that room temperature > beautiful losers. sorry, fever. by its very nature, i think the scattershot and inconsistent quality of beautiful losers works against it just a bit. when i listen to room temperature, i tend to listen to the whole record; i reach to beautiful losers when i want to hear a particular track. and i like the tension of taking a more coherent record and having each track interpreted by a different artist.

I was thinking that about beautiful losers but I still love the whole thing. I personally think room temperature has more crap on it but it's also probably a better choice than the later stuff . I don't think a cover version of say Hotel Lives would be very good.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 04, 2010 09:09PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Depending on when you'd want the covers in (and the progress of my banjo skills by then) I am most likely down.

I'd also put a vote in for The Cowardly Traveler Pays his Toll. But I love Room Temp just as much, so either way.

If you're wondering who to blame - I want to praise his name with songs and feasting.
June 04, 2010 09:38PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Cowardly Traveler = vastly overrated.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 04, 2010 09:43PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Team Love has a digital copy of RT and Jagjaguwar has a 2xLP for two bucks more, which I feel is the better bargian.

I can go ahead and tab out some songs if anyone needs any help in that dept.

Laughin Out Loud
June 04, 2010 09:51PM | Re: Forum project 2010
fever
Jay-Z = vastly overrated.

fix'd

June 04, 2010 11:51PM | Re: Forum project 2010
blackliner
fever
Jay-Z = vastly overrated.

fix'd
Well, yeah. Him too.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 04, 2010 11:58PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Fuck y'all.
June 05, 2010 12:38AM | Re: Forum project 2010
hahahahahahahahahahahahah

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
June 05, 2010 10:56AM | Re: Forum project 2010
I might be keen. No idea who Simon Joyner is though, but people seem to keep mentioning him. Guess I need to do some research.

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
June 05, 2010 06:15PM | Re: Forum project 2010
yes. yes you do.

June 06, 2010 08:35AM | Re: Forum project 2010
I'm not sure about everybody's stance in this thread so I put question marks besides those who have given uncertain answers.

I'd say if we get a few more we could get started and just have some double up, and KT, I'd say a good, lax, deadline might be about 3 months after the assignment starts.

Laughin Out Loud
June 06, 2010 05:52PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Well, I'd like to get in on it. I don't know Joyner's work TOO well but I'm currently working on it so I would be happy to familiarize myself with whatever album is ultimately chosen.
June 07, 2010 09:20PM | Re: Forum project 2010
Okay so I have assigned those who I have listed above, just shoot me an email and I'll send which song. And if no one else ends up signing up, also tell me whether or not you'd be interested in another if the chance arises.

Laughin Out Loud
June 07, 2010 09:21PM | Re: Forum project 2010
more people should do this so we can do the full album.
i am excited about my song! we will see what it sounds like on banjo.

If you're wondering who to blame - I want to praise his name with songs and feasting.
June 07, 2010 09:30PM | Re: Forum project 2010
alex, if only a few people do end up on this, we could just do a selection and make a minidisc

June 07, 2010 11:23PM | Re: Forum project 2010
I never listened to Simon Joyner, but I'd be willing to throw down, if you don't a mind a non-fan (or a not-yet fan) (who also isn't that good at the music stuff) join.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 48 on October 25, 2014