Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wha Choo Readin?

May 11, 2011 02:11PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
Bukowski short story chapbooks and collections

Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts (1965)
All the Assholes in the World and Mine (1966)
Notes of a Dirty Old Man (1969)
Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness (1972)
South of No North (1973)
Hot Water Music (1983)
Tales of Ordinary Madness (1983)
The Most Beautiful Woman in Town (1983)
Portions from a Wine-stained Notebook: Short Stories and Essays (2008)
Absence of the Hero (2010)

There's quite a few there I've not heard of at all actually. Where did you find this list?

He certainly has a way with titles doesn't he.
May 11, 2011 02:16PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
i just made that list up.

don't clap between movements
May 11, 2011 02:22PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998

So did I.
May 11, 2011 02:23PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
DavidD
mike5998

So did I.

nice buttslam!

May 14, 2011 08:24PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
Just finished with " The Final Testament of the holy Bible" James Frey

What a mind fuck.
May 21, 2011 12:52AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
finished ham on rye by bukowski. i liked it slightly better than post office. women comes in third. i don't think i liked any of the endings. but i didn't mind reading his writing. it was plain, i liked it. ham on rye i assume is a nod to catcher in the rye? which one next....factotum?

May 21, 2011 10:49AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
finished ham on rye by bukowski. i liked it slightly better than post office. women comes in third. i don't think i liked any of the endings. but i didn't mind reading his writing. it was plain, i liked it. ham on rye i assume is a nod to catcher in the rye? which one next....factotum?

At first I assumed it was a Salinger reference though looking into it further I've not come across anything to confirm it or even to suggest that Bukowski was a fan of Salinger, which is odd as he was always quite vocal about his influences. It could just be a coincidence?

And I'd definately recommend Factotum next. It fills the gap between Ham On Rye and Post Office.

His endings are consistently unsatisfyingly sudden and downbeat, though I've come to terms with that and actually quite like it. The last sentence of Factotum has actually become one of my favourite endings to a novel ever.
May 24, 2011 03:33AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
I have decided to follow where so many of you have gone and attempt Infinite Jest. Great so far!

last.fm
twitter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 03:43AM by rattle.
June 02, 2011 03:04PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
was bukowski 4f for wwii because he was born in germany?

he certainly seemed in good enough shape to do most anything he wanted.

June 02, 2011 08:48PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
rattle
I have decided to follow where so many of you have gone and attempt Infinite Jest. Great so far!

That book sort of destroyed my soul.

Anyhow, just read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon, which was really wonderful, and then Tinkers, by Paul Harding, which was crushing. Now reading Gravity's Rainbow, which is, so far, very promising.

& they were crowned with laurel in oblivion
June 02, 2011 09:17PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
soon i'll be checkin out some chester brown graphic novel comic book type things.

soon.

June 03, 2011 02:46AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
Achillius
rattle

That book sort of destroyed my soul.

I can see that. The way he writes about addiction and depression just seems very, very real.

last.fm
twitter
June 03, 2011 06:05AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
cronic
Just finished with " The Final Testament of the holy Bible" James Frey

What a mind fuck.

You'd have to pay me a whole pile of money to read anything by that big liar...

I'm reading Anna Karenina... because I got a kindle for my birthday so I can leave the fat volume at home and travel light...

I recently finished Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson...I would like everyone to read that book, because Mr. Watson is a friend of mine!
June 03, 2011 06:09AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
damn. i might have to read some. does he have a huge poetry omnibus you can point me to? the complete bukowski poems, or something of the like you or anyone can point me to?

gracias!

I love Bukowski's poems, even more than his prose...
Love is a Dog from Hell is my favourite compilation, with 'The Crunch' and 'One for Old Snaggle Tooth' being two of my best loved poems, by anyone...

[pbs.twimg.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 09:49AM by susan and her notebook.
June 03, 2011 09:07AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
I'm all about the comic books now. Just finished an indie title called Back in the Day and am now completely caught up with Batman Inc. I'm also on trade 2 of Scalped and about halfway through Bulletproof Coffin.

June 03, 2011 09:40AM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
soon i'll be checkin out some chester brown graphic novel comic book type things.

soon.

I've just finished reading Chester Browns latest graphic novel 'Paying For It'. Interesting stuff and a bit more conventional than his usual style. If you're getting into alternative comic stuff I'd also recommend Seth whose work is particularly contemplative and melancholy and Joe Matt who's shamelessly honest, self deprecating and hilarious. They're both good friends of Chester Browns and they all turn up in each others autobiographical work. It's amusing to be an audience to their varying interpretations of each other.
June 03, 2011 06:55PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
seth? is seth like madonna, just one name? i'll have to check joe matt, love people that are honest. tell all bro! give me some titles to read! i'll do it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 09:44PM by mike5998.
June 03, 2011 08:07PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
seth? is like like madonna, just one name? i'll have to check joe matt, love people that are honest. tell all bro! give me some titles to read! i'll do it!

For Joe Matt I'd go with The Poor Bastard then Fair Weather. Both ace. He's a strange, strange man. I was the tv series of Peepshow had come off and not been shelved!

For Seth I really love It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken.

For a bunch of three friends they are all a little offbeat and they compliment each other in a weird way.

last.fm
twitter
June 03, 2011 09:04PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
just read Rant by Mr. Palahniuk himself. some of his finest work if you ask me.
June 03, 2011 09:46PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
i read everything by chuck.

my faves were haunted and diary and probably most was survivor, which i hope they turn into a movie, but not a crappy movie.

pygmy was pretty good too, even if at first it gave me a headache!

June 03, 2011 09:46PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
rattle
mike5998
seth? is like like madonna, just one name? i'll have to check joe matt, love people that are honest. tell all bro! give me some titles to read! i'll do it!

For Joe Matt I'd go with The Poor Bastard then Fair Weather. Both ace. He's a strange, strange man. I was the tv series of Peepshow had come off and not been shelved!

For Seth I really love It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken.

For a bunch of three friends they are all a little offbeat and they compliment each other in a weird way.

good titles. i'll come back to this thread to remember them.

June 03, 2011 09:49PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
mike5998
i read everything by chuck.

my faves were haunted and diary and probably most was survivor, which i hope they turn into a movie, but not a crappy movie.

pygmy was pretty good too, even if at first it gave me a headache!
my fav's were haunted, survivor, then rant. i still haven't read diary unfortunately. and i didn't really like pygmy. but maybe i'll give it another try.
June 03, 2011 09:51PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
if he woulda wrote it normal it could've been his greatest. great, great story. but written in that horrible, horrible dialect!

June 03, 2011 10:00PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
ehh, i don't know. the story as allright. i liked the other's stories better. the dialect was a little bit annoying though.
i also meant to say, choke was my 4th favorite. did you see the movie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 10:00PM by jacobfiala.
June 03, 2011 10:03PM | Re: Wha Choo Readin?
i read choke after survivor, so i didn't like it so hot, so i didn't see the movie. i didn't really like midnite monsters or whatever that book was either. i would rank fight club higher except i saw the movie first and when i read the book i already knew what was going on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014