Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holiday Music!! (the good kind)

December 15, 2008 01:42AM | Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Apparently I'm not the only person in the universe who enjoys (okay so it's more of an addiction) Christmas/holiday music. I'm talking about new songs and good covers of old songs, not just the same old stuff that's played constantly on all the radio stations.

So what are some good xmas/holiday songs you enjoy?

Some highlights from my list so far:

Okkervil River- Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas
Palace Songs- Christmastime in the Mountains
Rogue Wave- Christmas
The Ramones- Merry Xmas (I don't wanna fight)
Frightened Rabbit- It's Xmas so We'll Stop
The Kinks- Father Christmas
The Groovie Ghoulies- Christmas on Mars
Blitzen Trapper- Christmas is Coming Soon
The Old 97s- Here It Is Christmas
Run DMC- Christmas in Hollis
The Pipettes- White Christmas
The Weepies- All That I Want (yes, from that commercial...)
Radiohead- Winter Wonderland
The Descendants- Christmas Vacation
Hello Saferide- iPod Christmas
Broken Social Scene- Handjobs for the Holidays
The Raveonettes- Come On Santa

...to name a few...
And John's songs from the '06 Cat's Cradle show of course.

Any good ones I've missed?

If you're wondering who to blame - I want to praise his name with songs and feasting.
December 15, 2008 01:51AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Oh, also The Smittens' hilarious song "Good Migrations"

Why can't there be Hanukkah in spring time?
Why'd they have to bury it in the snow?
Can't be right we're stuck with Hanukkah in winter
I want to spin the dreidel in the arc of the sun's warm glow

If you're wondering who to blame - I want to praise his name with songs and feasting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 01:51AM by kaytree.
December 15, 2008 02:02AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Christmas all over again
Eels - Christmas is going to the dogs
Robert Earl Keen - Merry Christmas from the Family
Harvey Danger - Sometimes you have to Work on Christmas (Sometimes)
Atom and his Package - What WE Do on Christmas
The Mathletes - First Christmas Alone
Casiotone FTPA - Cold White Christmas

(that's right, I just typed "christmas" into my iTunes search bar. Whatever.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 02:03AM by MilesD.
December 15, 2008 02:09AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York

A+++
December 15, 2008 02:34AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
How about Happy Holidays You Bastard by Blink 182?

Family fun time.
December 15, 2008 02:37AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
johnnyonthespot

Family fun time.

it's christmas eve and i've only wrapped two fucking presents.

i may be a cold-blooded jelly doughnut, but i have impeccable timing.
December 15, 2008 02:45AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Slow Gherkin, "Shed Some Skin"
Run On, "X-mas Trip"
Everything But The Girl, "25th December"

Play myself some music.
December 15, 2008 03:02AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
number 9
johnnyonthespot

Family fun time.

it's christmas eve and i've only wrapped two fucking presents.

Or Blink182's I Won't be Home for Christmas...
That's a seriously great song.

December 15, 2008 03:05AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
also

the walkmen- "no christmas while i'm talking"
copeland- "do you hear what i hear"
dismemberment plan- "this christmas"
mason jennings- "christmas is coming to town"
the polyphonic spree- "happy christmas" (the war is over)

these are on my "december" playlist. sorry about the copeland one. i've got no excuse except that my ex loved them and put this on a mix.

December 15, 2008 03:08AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
ALSO rilo kiley "xmas cake"! jenny lewis is my biggest ladycrush.

December 15, 2008 03:14AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
heck yes, 9. i love all of those (and the copeland one is HI-LARIOUS).

check out:
travis- last christmas
rilo kiley- christmas cake (you beat me to ms. lewis)
the raveonettes- the christmas song, and come on santa
of montreal- My Favorite Christmas (In A Hundred Words Or Less)
the hives & cyndi lauper- a christmas duel
the format- holly jolly christmas
the dandy warhols- little drummer boy
asobi seksu- merry xmas (i don't wanna fight)
the felice brothers- christmas song
the jackson 5- frosty the snowman
pedro the lion- i heard the bells on xmas day
snowden- white xmas
the wee turtles- By Golly, They've Dehydrated Christmas!
and all of belle & sebastian's peel christmas party

i told you i have a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 03:14AM by kaytree.
December 15, 2008 03:44AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
I like that you're calling me 9. I feel like a secret agent.

HOLY DEAR GOD THE HIVES V. CINDI LAUPER I MUST HYPE MACHINE THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW!

And don't worry, I totally had a ton of those songs on the playlist already. It's about 80 songs long. I've been compiling it since Sophomore year of high school. I'm adding the Felice Brothers and Snowden right now. This second.

Time to freshen my drink and torture my friends and roommate with more Christmas music!

December 15, 2008 03:56AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Hahaha I like to imagine the Hives (white suits and skinny ties and all) battling Cyndi Lauper in a Christmas Duel. Maybe a swordfight with giant candy canes.

This Dandy Warhols song is surprisingly good considering I usually can't stand how generically indie they are. Also this Weepies song ties Jose Gonzalez' Heartbeats as my favorite commercial song of all time. (Chairlift's Bruises as a close 2nd.) I sound obnoxious and pretentious right now, so I'll stop.

Another few songs I just remembered:
Eisley- The Winter Song
KATE BUSH- December Will be Magic Again (Have I mentioned lately that I love Kate Bush?)
Animal Collective- Winters Love
Stars- What the Snowman Learned About Love

December 15, 2008 03:59AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Um, stable boy song? That's about christmas, right?
December 15, 2008 04:08AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
To tell you the truth, I can't listen to stable boy song without giggling hysterically whenever John sings the word "come". Yes, it's for immature and perverted reasons. I'm sorry. But that song is hilarious if you listen to it and interpret it as a "Sexiest tMG song". Go on, try it.

December 15, 2008 04:09AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Oh god Kate Bush! I went through SUCH A PHASE last year around this time. Suspended in Gaffa would be in a hymn book or something if I compiled one.

Don't apologize for being pretentious. As long as you can get down to some Copeland and Blink 182 and Kate Bush now and then you can't be that bad. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing because I'm horribly pretentious too.

How about:
Run DMC- "Christmas in Hollis"
Super Deluxe- "All I Wanted Was A Skateboard"
and Billy Mack- " Christmas is All Around" from Love Actually!

Edit: Your "come" thing from cracked me up. Sex jokes are still funny dammit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 04:10AM by number 9.
December 15, 2008 04:17AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
dude, 9, are you the other me from a parallel universe? (See: 1995 made-for-TV movie Escape to Witch Mountain)

i used to work at a coffee shop for about 2 years (until very recently), i have aspirations of being a librarian, i crochet mittens, i am in a HUGE kate bush phase right now (my roommate and i saw ra ra riot last week and drunkenly did the dance from kate's video when they played suspended in gaffa), i downloaded that run DMC song earlier today, and i was also talking about that song from love actually with my boyfriend not long ago.

also, vermont's not that far from boston- let's be best friends?

December 15, 2008 04:24AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Maybe? I'm going to IMDB your 1995 Witch Mountain movie. It will be on my netflix queue.

That's all really, really weird. Why did you stop working at your coffee shop? I love it. My drunken/high/exhausted/caffeinated theory is this: we both want to be librarians. All librarians are inherently awesome, it's just basic social Darwinism.

And Kate Bush is just plain awesome.

Heck yes we can be best friends! If you'll excuse my stupid southern accent and 4'11 height. I can't help it, though not for lack of trying.

December 15, 2008 04:58AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Ehh, my quitting my coffee shop was complicated, there were several reasons for it. But I did love working there, and I miss chatting with regulars and practicing latte art in my downtime instead of cleaning the tables. It was a fun job. Also, you know, free espresso. I am a huge coffee addict.

I have librarian themed temporary tattoos, and a librarian tote bag with an anarchy symbol as the first "A" in the word librarian. like libr(A)rian. it's hilarious and awesome.

Speaking of going to Emerson.. do you know Ben Lee? He goes there too and works at the American Apparel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 04:58AM by kaytree.
December 15, 2008 05:05AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
I HAVE THOSE LIBRARIAN TATTOOS!! I'M WEARING THE "READ OR DIE" ONE RIGHT NOW!

Weird weird weird.

Even weirder: I've never met Ben Lee, but I know OF him. My roommate Juliet took almost all of her photo classes with his on/off since high school girlfriend, Chelsea. By all calculations Ben is a seriously fantastic guy. How do you know him, are you both originally from Vermont?

Also I'm sorry about your coffee shop. Work at UVM's library! It is such an amazing library, I spent an afternoon there a few summers ago when my family was visiting our family friends in South Burlington. The second floor graffiti with "read" or something in different languages is amazing.

December 15, 2008 05:24AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Yeah- Ben Lee (always called by his first and last name, always) is a pretty great guy. He's from Vermont, yeah, but I'm from Philly originally. I just go to school here at UVM. (Weird that you've been to our library.. !) I know him through my ex-boyfriend (who goes to Clark, there in Worcester, along with his girlfriend who used to be on this forum until I basically chased her out of here, hahahahah I am an asshole). Also, my good friend Carrin used to work at the UVM library and she recently moved to Boston. So many weird connections...

December 15, 2008 05:33AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Yeah, I loved your library! It's in my top ten college libraries. Up there also are University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Boston College, and Goucher College.

A girl from my high school went to Clark for a semester. She transferred to Coastal Carolina. She said Worcester sucks. I saw people earlier disagreeing on the New People thread but I trust a Southern girl.

You CHASED her off the forum! Jeez. Remind me not to make you angry, haha. Was she really mean to you or something?

Also: Something awful has just happened. I think it's a story for the drunk thread because I still can't believe it.

December 15, 2008 06:00AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
I mean, technically I didn't chase her off, I just (drunkenly) pointed out the fact that she's dating my ex one night and that brought up all sorts of awkward tension. No serious confrontations, or anything. I was just like "HEY remember that time I used to date Keegan and now you are?" and there were also weird connections/similarities like her living in Burlington and working at the UVM library over the summer with my friends, etc. Aside from all that, my ex never liked the Mountain Goats while we were dating, and now apparently he's a huge fan and he and this girl have been to several shows (including the recent Middle East one). Oh well.

In January I'm going to be visiting the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where they apparently have 40 LIBRARIES. I shit you not. I am so excited to be in library heaven.

December 15, 2008 06:05AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
They were at the recent Middle East one, maybe I saw them! If they were an obnoxious couple in the front row wearing a blue dress and a leather jacket then I wanted to throw a cup at them. Full of beer.

Probably not though, that show was packed.

Let's be honest, he probably introduced the Mountain Goats to her so he felt important and "indie" and hip or whatever, so he got more into them too. I'm sorry about all that, boys are tactless and awful. She sounds like she deserves it for rubbing it in your face, though. If she left it meant she knew she was in the wrong.

OKAY- time for my coffee and bourbon combo.

December 15, 2008 06:12AM | Re: Holiday Music!! (the good kind)
Hahahahaha the funny thing is there is a chance that couple you're referring to was them! He wears a stupid leather jacket sometimes despite the fact that he used to be all into Peta2 and veganism. But as we all know, looking hip is way more important than your values or animal rights. Psh.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Coffee&bourbon is a great combo. I'm going to finish off my last beer of the night/morning and go to sleep soon too.

Cheers to taking over the forum while the "normal" people are sleeping!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 45 on October 20, 2014