Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

book stores

December 29, 2011 05:15PM | book stores
So, as some of you may know, I recently started a very small book press, which is called Gray Sky Micro Press, here in San Francisco. We released our first book this month, Valencia Street, which is a collection of short stories written by me, under my pen name. About four to six authors, including potentially one who is a fine member of our forum, will be having novels published by Gray Sky in 2012. I am looking to stock them in independent book stores. I have two stores and one in LA so far that are, or will shortly be, stocking Gray Sky books. I am hoping to get them into four or five more stores in January. I'm planning on targeting big cities, but also will talk to smaller cities too if there is a good indie book store.

Short story now long, if anyone has a favorite independent book store, please post its name and location, as I would like to be able to target book shops that have good reputations, and I tend to trust MGs fans in all things word related.

Thanks!

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
December 29, 2011 05:20PM | Re: book stores
amazing! congrats on your newest venture wc!

the only bookstore i know of around here is powells.
December 29, 2011 05:21PM | Re: book stores
powells, that's a good one though. i shoulda thought of that. i will put it on my list.

thanks!

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
December 29, 2011 07:21PM | Re: book stores
Shakespeare and Co in NYC. They have a few stores throughout the city.

The Wooden Shoe in Philly is another one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 07:26PM by Young Staten.
December 29, 2011 10:42PM | Re: book stores
Wow, congrats!

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 06:41AM by SlowWestVulture.
December 29, 2011 11:37PM | Re: book stores
Congrats! Let me know if you ever start your own record label.

If you want to get in on the Oslo market, there's Tronsmo.

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
December 30, 2011 10:18AM | Re: book stores
nobody reads records anymore man!
December 30, 2011 10:20AM | Re: book stores
I kind of feel like a jerk now realizing that I only buy books from Amazon or Barnes and Nobel. When we're in NYC I go to Housing Works but that's a charity run thing so I don't think they'd be what you're looking for.

December 30, 2011 10:24AM | Re: book stores
i feel like a jerk because i only read books from the library!

book and album sales would probably perk up if they got rid of those pesky establishments!
December 30, 2011 10:28AM | Re: book stores
I hope they don't do that! I know several librarians that would be very upset if they did!

December 30, 2011 11:07AM | Re: book stores
i hope they don't either.

i'd be about a trillion dollars in debt if i had to buy all the albums and books i've accessed through the local library.

i'm bad for the economy.
December 30, 2011 08:28PM | Re: book stores
Charmichael's in Louisville, KY is an awesome independent store to check out. The best I've ever been to.

& they were crowned with laurel in oblivion
December 30, 2011 08:34PM | Re: book stores
mike10k
nobody reads records anymore man!
lol
and wc that is freaking awesome. I can't wait for the day that i have the extra energy and money to do something like this. all luck and whatever good that one can wish to someone I wish to you in this endeavor. kinda gives me hope that i might eventually open up that record store i've been dreaming about for years. btw do you have a website set up yet? i want to read your book, but san francisco is a long drive, and an even longer walk.
January 01, 2012 04:02AM | Re: book stores
E-books killed all of the bookstores in my area. The closest one to me is a barnes and noble, and it's about 40 miles away.

I fucking hate e-books.
January 01, 2012 12:49PM | Re: book stores
computers killed everything.

January 01, 2012 01:15PM | Re: book stores
Sethie
E-books killed all of the bookstores in my area. The closest one to me is a barnes and noble, and it's about 40 miles away.

I fucking hate e-books.

that sucks. i've decided not to publish any Gray Sky books as e-books, even though its easy enough to do. the whole concept is to embrace the physical relationship between a reader and a book. when people say e-books are the same as books, to me its like saying digitial is the same as vinyl. it is, and it it isn't, and i believe there will always be a fairly sizable niche of people who believe this, and small bookstore and recordstores will continue to cater to that niche of people. the days of barnes and noble and borders are over, and i weep no tears for those impersonal monstrosities, but smaller bookstores will find a way to continue.

and shopping at amazon is like shopping at wal-mart. do you really want to be a wal-mart shopper? amazon kills souls.

January 01, 2012 05:48PM | Re: book stores
i didn't want an ebook, i just wanted to buy the real book over the internet sad smiley
January 01, 2012 06:33PM | Re: book stores
you can buy copies of Gray Skey books at its own small website, grayskypress.com. there's just one for sale now, just a few copies left, but more authors will be comign soone. i may capitulate to amazon at some point, but not yet.

January 02, 2012 03:17PM | Re: book stores
book people in austin is a great store. [www.bookpeople.com]

it's a much smaller market, but sundance books in reno has been around for 25 years. [www.sundancebookstore.com]

if you're going to the show in tampa, i'd recommend a stop at inkwood as well. [www.inkwoodbooks.com]
January 02, 2012 04:39PM | Re: book stores
Brookline Booksmith in Brookline, MA (in an area known as Coolidge Corner) tends to have a great eclectic mix of more known materials and more indie stuff. They also have some good pull for a non-chain store (they've had many readings including one by John Hodgman!)

[www.brooklinebooksmith.com]

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
January 02, 2012 06:41PM | Re: book stores
thanks for all the suggestions. this will keep me busy for the next 2 weeks. grazie!

January 02, 2012 10:10PM | Re: book stores
Mojo Books & Music in Tampa, FL might be a good place.

[evulpine.tumblr.com]
January 02, 2012 11:35PM | Re: book stores
It would probably be a mistake to omit The Strand in NYC from your list. Also, Unnameable Books in Brooklyn is good.
January 26, 2012 11:56AM | Re: book stores
wcreature, you might find this interesting: [htmlgiant.com]
January 26, 2012 12:03PM | Re: book stores
killebrew
wcreature, you might find this interesting: [htmlgiant.com]

This is awesome and I love www.htmlgiant.com. I have, unfortunately, learned a lot of these points through personal experience. Fucking shipping. Especially international. Fuck. Also, all of these pointst are true. Except 17. I hate e-books and if I have to make e-books, I will not be a micro-press. It defeats the whole purpose of being a micro-press.

By the way, everyone go to grayskypress.com and buy P. William Grimm's new collection of short stories, Valencia Street. Which is also available at Dog-Eared Books and Alexander Books in San Francisco, and Book Soup in Los Angeles. Soon to be in New York and Seattle bookstores.

New books by new authors coming in the 1st half of 2012. Support independent literature!

self-plug over.

edits to edit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 12:20PM by Wild Creature.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 45 on October 20, 2014