Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Musicians' corner

March 26, 2012 03:23AM | Re: Musicians' corner
March 26, 2012 09:44AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Seems I've about twenty songs written, composed, and demo'ed for my next amazing album. Need to start getting around to making super hi-fi versions of them.

So anyone interested in helping out with the arrangements and possibly mixing, i.e. collaborating? I've already collaborated with a couple of guys on here, and would love to try it some more!

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
March 30, 2012 11:01AM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind
Seems I've about twenty songs written, composed, and demo'ed for my next amazing album. Need to start getting around to making super hi-fi versions of them.

So anyone interested in helping out with the arrangements and possibly mixing, i.e. collaborating? I've already collaborated with a couple of guys on here, and would love to try it some more!

It was a while ago that we attempted a bit of a collaboration together, but I'd like to give it another go; I can now offer my services as a vocalist, guitarist, *and* a drummer. Do give me a bell if you fancy anything.

In the meantime, it'd be nice to get some mountain goats people liking my band on facebook! We're called Strongmen & Acrobats, and can I entice you with an extra lens cover?
March 31, 2012 02:24AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Jonty

In the meantime, it'd be nice to get some mountain goats people liking my band on facebook! We're called Strongmen & Acrobats, and can I entice you with an extra lens cover?
ugh i still love you, jon fuller. Stop being so perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 02:24AM by layladarling.
March 31, 2012 11:43AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Jonty
It was a while ago that we attempted a bit of a collaboration together, but I'd like to give it another go; I can now offer my services as a vocalist, guitarist, *and* a drummer. Do give me a bell if you fancy anything.

I thought our first attempt was pretty successful! I just need to get better at mixing vocals (or optionally find someone to do it for me). But sure, I'll try e-mailing you again sometime to see if we can work on another song. Also, you should considering joining the Hefner Brain project. Also #2, nice cover! You've got a very energetic bassist there.

Now an actual music-y question. I have a keyboard that has the following MIDI out / in holes. What do I need to use to get it plugged up to my computer?

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
April 02, 2012 06:42PM | Re: Musicians' corner
SlowWestVulture
This is a little noisy project I did with Kaathariancode a few weeks ago:

[minorityassociation.bandcamp.com]

Exceptionally bitchin'...

So when do I get to hear more Pure Juniper?

Jonty

Done and done... and I mean that literally because I liked it from both the Hackberry Garage page and my personal one. Listening to "Smoking Gun" now.

A reciprocal "like" would be nice, although my like for your page was and is certainly not conditional on that.

*Edit* Forgot to mention also that work on my new EP (Gnosis, a sort of companion to my previous Agnosis EP) is about half finished (and it's probably the best stuff I've ever done). I'm putting up a new single today that is going to be pay only, just because that's how I tend to do singles because I give everything else away for free. Gnosis will probably be pay only for a while once it's up as well, because I plan to play some shows to promote it and I really don't want to have a day job five years down the road.

Speaking of day jobs, I'm really sorry if anyone felt hurt that I took down Revolving Spleen, but between shiftwork syndrome, significant othering and recording lots, I just don't have time to maintain it. Hopefully we can all remain musical buddies and collaborate and love each other and stuff. If anyone has a specific album they'd like me to promote or review on the Hackberry Garage page, I am more than happy to do so. If anybody wants to release anything on the RS netlabel, it's still around and I am still willing to release pretty much anything anyone wants me to.

*Edit II* So here's the new single: http://hackberrygarage.bandcamp.com/album/dreamboat-capsizing-single

[evulpine.tumblr.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 08:32PM by simonfox.
April 02, 2012 11:49PM | Re: Musicians' corner
simonfox
SlowWestVulture
This is a little noisy project I did with Kaathariancode a few weeks ago:

[minorityassociation.bandcamp.com]

Exceptionally bitchin'...

So when do I get to hear more Pure Juniper?

Haha, thanks! Pure Juniper is on the way! There's a song on that topic trading compilation that will hopefully be out soon. I was getting redlandsman to substitute for someone who dropped out, but he seemed to have dropped off the forums. So I'm covering as one of my other projects to finish up that missing song and then it will be ready to roll!

Also, we have a single one-off track I'm working on finishing up along with a music video. No idea when I'll get done with that, lol.

We've been working on a rock opera for over a year now, and that's coming along nicely. Still a lot to do, though.

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.
April 03, 2012 08:53AM | Re: Musicians' corner
simonfox

Done and done... and I mean that literally because I liked it from both the Hackberry Garage page and my personal one. Listening to "Smoking Gun" now.

A reciprocal "like" would be nice, although my like for your page was and is certainly not conditional on that.

And my reciprocal like is by no means simply reciprocal! Dreamboat Capsizing is amazing! Melody, drums, horns, vocals, lyrics. Finding bands like this is cool, but also intensely annoying because playing gigs together would be a bit of a massive challenge.

Incidentally, how do you go about recording drums and such? I kind of want to record a few songs all on my own, but I'm not sure my crummy built in mic will be able to handle me bashing a drumkit. It's a bit of a drag, not being able to put any full songs up, apart from live performances =[
April 03, 2012 05:43PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Jonty
And my reciprocal like is by no means simply reciprocal! Dreamboat Capsizing is amazing! Melody, drums, horns, vocals, lyrics. Finding bands like this is cool, but also intensely annoying because playing gigs together would be a bit of a massive challenge.

Incidentally, how do you go about recording drums and such? I kind of want to record a few songs all on my own, but I'm not sure my crummy built in mic will be able to handle me bashing a drumkit. It's a bit of a drag, not being able to put any full songs up, apart from live performances =[

Believe it or not, every drumbeat in every song of mine that has drums is programed in FruityLoops or Garage Band. The only exception is "Glistening Day, Glittering Night" on which I led the precussion section on a muted guitar and one friend played a bucket and the other played a box. I can pick up most stringed instruments and make music, but I'm a mediocre precussionist at best. Some of the keyboards on some songs, a few basslines and most definitely the horns on Dreamboat are programed. The horns sound surprisingly realistc. Those are from Garage Band. One thing I'm digging about GB is that you have the option to score this stuff with actual musical notation. If you know a little music theory and have taken a couple of piano lessons, you can really use that to your advantage.

Yeah, I know nothing about recording drums though. You would probably be shocked at how rudimentary my recording set-up is. Like right now it's a Samson Q7, Korg D4 (four-track which is these days just a processor), iMic and Garage Band. The only other stuff is some adapters and a cheap XLR cable. Pretty much all of the guitar sounds on all of my songs right now are made by a Takamine G-Series acoustic. I am still saving for a new electric. You'd be surprised some of the interesting distorted tones you can get from an acoustic if you have no choice.

[evulpine.tumblr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 05:43PM by simonfox.
April 06, 2012 07:33AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Recently acquired these:

M-Audio Keystation 49e MIDI keyboard, and a Korg X5D synth.

Still need to find some decent, easy-to-use Windows software for the MIDI keyboard...

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
April 06, 2012 10:47AM | Re: Musicians' corner
for the guitar geek in you.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 10:48AM by Wild Creature.
April 06, 2012 02:11PM | Re: Musicians' corner
April 06, 2012 02:24PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Korgs are just awesome in general.

[evulpine.tumblr.com]
April 06, 2012 07:36PM | Re: Musicians' corner
April 13, 2012 11:15AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Very jealous of that Korg.

I'd like to briefly flash up this miniature live 'album' from Strongmen & Acrobats - do give it a go, if you would. It's only small.
April 13, 2012 03:10PM | Re: Musicians' corner
So buying that when I get paid.

[evulpine.tumblr.com]
May 04, 2012 09:28PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Behold, the power of the Korg!

Example 1, example 2, example 3.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 13, 2012 08:08PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Trying to write a song about sleeping with Eef Barzelay. It's not going too well.

And how do you pronounce Eef Barzelay? Anyone mind giving me the phonetics, or maybe even recording and uploading / mailing a sample of how you are to pronounce it? Being a non-native English speaker, I'm worried I might be saying it wrong.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 13, 2012 08:58PM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind
And how do you pronounce Eef Barzelay?

rhymes with BEEF VANDELAY.

don't worry about english speakers, we're just a buncha pricks!
July 15, 2012 11:16AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Did a rough demo. Do I pronounce Eef Barzelay correctly? If anyone could give it a listen and let me know, that would be great!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 18, 2012 07:03PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Just received an e-mail from the place I was going to perform at come October that they had gone bankrupt, and that all concerts would have to be cancelled.

So, that sucks.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
August 01, 2012 08:08AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Howdy, you Western guitarists.

I need some advice of you, maybe you can help me. My Ibanez western guitar isn't that good and tends to sound a little flat, which may be a result of my fiddling around with a build-in pickup decades ago. To have a full sound, a friend of mine told me to put on the thickest strings I can find. So since then I use these Martin strings, and they sound fine to me considering their reasonable price.

Now, recently I startet fingerpicking a little more, and playing more melodies instead of just strumming chords, but I feel that the strings are too heavy for that, my fingers hurt, I play unclean. I know, it has to do a lot with practicing, but I also know that since years, my fingers hurt after playing too long for the strings are too thick.

Now my question: Does anyone of you know which .012 or even .011 strings I could use that still don't sound too flat? On my E-guitar I use Ernie Balls, but I don't know if there's better strings for Western guitars, but if I use thinner Martin strings, my guitar also sounds thinner...

Or does anyone even know a good but very cheap concert guitar with nylon strings?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Doc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 08:10AM by Doc Sanchez.
August 24, 2012 09:04PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Why is mixing so difficult sometimes?! *ragequits*

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
September 12, 2012 05:05PM | Re: Musicians' corner
1. I've been using Sonic Foundry's (now Sony) Acid for producing music since version 2.0. I was a teenager, and the program was super intuitive, and I love it. Or, I loved it. With every update the program gets less and less stable (thanks Sony) and I, with my whole heart, want to stick with it. But I don't think I can.

There are limits to my funds, but I'm thinking of going to a new software. Is anyone working with Reason or something like that? I'm looking to hear some recommendations/successes/troubles you guys have had with music software.

2. After Hopscotch, I went over to Asheville, toured the Moog factory, geeked out and bought a theremin. My apartment sounds exactly like space. It's nuts.

justindaley.bandcamp.com
feearsofthemammoth.bandcamp.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014