Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Musicians' corner

July 22, 2011 09:10AM | Musicians' corner
For talking about important musician stuff, without necessarily promoting one's own music.

Got outbid on a Casio PT80 yesterday at the very last minute. Literally. Very annoying. Been wanting to get that or a Casio PT30 for some years now, ever since I heard it used in the Hefner song "Karen". (As far as I've understood the two models are pretty much identical, except the PT80 includes a slot for a ROM cartridge.) Guess I'll have to stick with my Casio SA-35 for now.

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 22, 2011 01:59PM | Re: Musicians' corner
That's to bad, Eivind. I just aquired a bodhran from a friend's brother. Don't really know what I'm going to do with it since I don't know how to play but will have fun figuring it out.
July 24, 2011 12:09AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Bought a Cort AD810 guitar a few weeks ago. Love the sound.

I've been attempting to teach myself how to play the keyboard . I have an old Casio SA-67, perfect for practicing "Going To Malibu" and "Pure Love" (Child's Play pattern!).

Also acquired a First Act accordion. So much fun.

O curas hominum! O quantum est in rebus inane!
July 24, 2011 12:27AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Gaius Verres
I've been attempting to teach myself how to play the keyboard . I have an old Casio SA-67, perfect for practicing "Going To Malibu" and "Pure Love" (Child's Play pattern!).

That's awesome! I've been looking for a Casio SA-7 in hopes of one day doing that.

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.
July 24, 2011 11:08AM | Re: Musicians' corner
I also have Child's Play on my Casio SA-35. Used it for this cover of "Pure Love" a while back.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 24, 2011 07:30PM | Re: Musicians' corner
I bought a ukulele not too long ago. It is loads of fun, but they sure are hard to get and keep in tune. Nothing like a guitar in that respect.
July 25, 2011 10:05AM | Re: Musicians' corner
simonfox
I bought a ukulele not too long ago. It is loads of fun, but they sure are hard to get and keep in tune. Nothing like a guitar in that respect.

That's true - I play some Ukulele since a few years now, and I hate to tune it. Does anyone now why this is so? Is it the strings, or the pegs, or what else?

Also: Does anyone of you have an E-guitar with a Floyd-Rose-tremolo-system? I hate that, too. Takes hours to change strings, and you need fucking tools to do it!!! Once, a string broke while I ws on stage, and it really took hours! And everything was completely detuned afterwards. What was I thinking back then as a metalhead when I bought this crap?
July 25, 2011 05:40PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Been using Audacity, but seems like I'm having some syncing problems with it; when I record, things will somtimes be half-a second (or so) delayed. Getting a bit annoying. So anyone know of any good, either free or cheap, recording software for use with Windows PCs?

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
July 25, 2011 07:18PM | Re: Musicians' corner
I would have recommended Cool Edit but I don't think it's free anymore. That was probably the best freeware thing for Windows up that particular alley.

And Doc, I hate anything with a Floyd Rose. I've never been able to figure it out.

[evulpine.tumblr.com]
July 30, 2011 02:43PM | Re: Musicians' corner
it's coming to get you, simon!

don't clap between movements
August 01, 2011 03:17AM | Re: Musicians' corner
mike5998
it's coming to get you, simon!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
August 02, 2011 06:30PM | Re: Musicians' corner
So, I place I might be playing at tells me "the artist must bring the backline". What's a backline?

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
August 02, 2011 08:05PM | Re: Musicians' corner
[musicians.about.com]

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
August 02, 2011 10:55PM | Re: Musicians' corner
simonfox

I'm a big fan of the ukulele I bought about 2 years ago. I just keep a tuner clipped on the end of it so I can quickly tune it up whenever needed. I think the biggest plus as far as I'm concerned is the portability.

Shabtai ____ ben Avraham
August 02, 2011 10:57PM | Re: Musicians' corner
I've been considering saving up for a mixer and some microphones that I can use for some basic home recording. Anyone have any recommendations?

Shabtai ____ ben Avraham
August 03, 2011 03:47PM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind
when I record, things will somtimes be half-a second (or so) delayed.

This problem is the bane of my existance.
September 01, 2011 06:51PM | Re: Musicians' corner
So a musician told me: "I work on a Mac with Logic, so I can do GarageBand or Logic files quite easily".

Can you read those files on a PC? If so, what software do you need for that?

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
September 02, 2011 10:24AM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind
Been using Audacity, but seems like I'm having some syncing problems with it; when I record, things will somtimes be half-a second (or so) delayed. Getting a bit annoying.

Same problem here. I just turn of the live pre-listening and keep my headphones off one ear to hear what I'm playing live. Not that comfortable, but it solves the problem a little bit.

But I'm also interested in free recording software, but for me it's Ubuntu.

And to guitarists here: Which strings do you use and why? For my E-guitar I use Ernie Ball's Regular Slinky, and for my acoustic guitar I use Martin strings .013-.056. And you?
September 05, 2011 08:24AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Doc Sanchez
Same problem here. I just turn of the live pre-listening and keep my headphones off one ear to hear what I'm playing live. Not that comfortable, but it solves the problem a little bit.

Ah! Maybe that'll help. I used to play kind of "blindly", not hearing what I was playing but playing in rhythm to what I'd already recorded. But then I found out I could also hear what I was playing at the same time with the right settings, and that might have been when the problems started.

But no one knows whether you can open GarageBand or Logic files on a PC?

And am trying to work on getting some semi-local gigs over here in Norway. Just contacted the place where John Vanderslice is supposed to perform to ask if they need a support band for the occasion, since the listing currently just reads "John Vanderslice + support". Would have been amazing if they said yes to that, but I don't really feel I'm qualified to being the opener to someone of his caliber and background, so then I'd probably go through the next five to six weeks completely paralyzed, feeling anxious and nervous. They are probably already talking to other possible, more proper bands too. But fingers crossed.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
September 05, 2011 03:39PM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind

And am trying to work on getting some semi-local gigs over here in Norway. Just contacted the place where John Vanderslice is supposed to perform to ask if they need a support band for the occasion, since the listing currently just reads "John Vanderslice + support". Would have been amazing if they said yes to that, but I don't really feel I'm qualified to being the opener to someone of his caliber and background, so then I'd probably go through the next five to six weeks completely paralyzed, feeling anxious and nervous. They are probably already talking to other possible, more proper bands too. But fingers crossed.

Man, good luck with that! I think you would sound great before Vanderslice!

But I have no idea about the GarageBand and Logic thing, sorry.

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 03:39PM by SlowWestVulture.
September 05, 2011 06:31PM | Re: Musicians' corner
Doc Sanchez

Logic? IDK. GarageBand, nope. GarageBand uses a proprietary file format. The closest thing I can think of is exporting each recorded track in a lossless format and importing into a PC multitracking software.

IN AWESOME NEWS I now have 2 functional cassette decks for recording and duplication. I'm hoping to have a new tape out by January.
September 06, 2011 09:32AM | Re: Musicians' corner
EvilEivind
Ah! Maybe that'll help. I used to play kind of "blindly", not hearing what I was playing but playing in rhythm to what I'd already recorded.

Yeah, as soon as I use non-acoustic instruments I do it quite the same. This kind of sucks, but also forces you to reduce your arrangements, which at least is an interesting challenge.

EvilEivind
But then I found out I could also hear what I was playing at the same time with the right settings, and that might have been when the problems started.

They even say it somewhere in the manual, I think. You can fix this somewhere so that on the recording, it's in time again (depending on your soundcard etc., frankly I didn't understand it), but while playing this bug remains.

EvilEivind
And am trying to work on getting some semi-local gigs over here in Norway. Just contacted the place where John Vanderslice is supposed to perform to ask if they need a support band for the occasion

Cool! I hope for you it will work out! Good luck!

Cheers, Doc
September 12, 2011 12:44PM | Re: Musicians' corner
My week long dream of opening for Vanderslice was just shattered, as I received an e-mail from Sub Scene saying they already had an opening act booked. sad smiley

Now I must drown my sorrows in kroneis and Urge.

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
September 13, 2011 11:19AM | Re: Musicians' corner
Ice cream always helps!
September 13, 2011 05:14PM | Re: Musicians' corner
no one puts musician in the corner
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014