2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF

Posted by redherren 
Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
February 27, 2009 05:39PM
no no it's fine
February 27, 2009 05:56PM
And welcome to the forums wHATcOLOR! :D

There is always good stuff here, so stick around a while and enjoy the convos.

February 27, 2009 07:11PM
Um, I'm new here so I hope this isn't a daft question--I was at the show and, as a relative tMG newbie, didn't know all of the older songs John played, and would like to seek out those albums and listen to them again. Would someone mind e-mailing me the setlist? My e-mail is in my profile. Thanks super much.

(BTW, as everyone has said already--awesome show!)
February 27, 2009 08:04PM
you want to pick up:

protein source of the future... now!
isopanisad radio hour
coroner's gambit
[the album that shall not be named]
the sub-pop 7"
ghana
zopilote machine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 08:06PM by nall.
February 27, 2009 10:10PM
thank you ellamennoff!

hope=hafg (gl!)
February 27, 2009 10:27PM
[quote Mtn. Girl]And welcome to the forums wHATcOLOR! :D

There is always good stuff here, so stick around a while and enjoy the convos.[/quote]

thanks! i do plan to stick around. it's been a while since i've felt like getting involved in an artist's community online, but this seems like it will be worth it. i'm feeling this.
February 27, 2009 10:28PM
[quote redherren]thank you ellamennop!

hope=hafg (gl!)[/quote]

sure thing. i've also got up two videos from the night before with tobias wolfe if you're intersted.
February 28, 2009 04:14AM
So, I flew into SF from Utah for this show and the talking music gig. It was good. One of the best things was meeting John at the end of the show. He was genuine and pleasant even though he had essentially just got off work and wanted to go get a beer. After chatting for a min he shook my hand and hugged my girlfriend. Later she recounted that it was "the kind of hug a person gives a close friend, not a total stranger."

I am pretty new to being more then just a casual fan of the Mountain Goats, but John makes it easy to be obsessed when he treats us all like close friends.

I am a little sad I didn't reach out and meet some of the other forum people. I'll be at the DC show if anyone wants to get a drink before.

Also, why is no one talking about how John Vanderslice was bartending? Talk about a crazy night! Cruise up and JV offers to pour you a beer. Wild.
February 28, 2009 06:23AM
[quote alectherins]Later she recounted that it was "the kind of hug a person gives a close friend, not a total stranger." [/quote]

Yes! I was just telling one of my friends my JD-hug story and used almost exactly these same words! I think I would love tMG regardless of how nice/nasty the front-person was, but the fact that JD is such a stand-up fellow who gives his fans real-hugs not "you're some total stranger"-hugs is just utterly wonderful to me.

[url=http://www.scotlanded.livejournal.com]omg.[/url] [url=http://www.last.fm/user/meghequalscool]omg.[/url] [url=http://momentile.com/scotlanded]omg![/url]
not a dude.
hugs-n-cupcakes.
February 28, 2009 09:44AM
[quote alectherins]So, I flew into SF from Utah for this show and the talking music gig.[/quote]

I was in Utah from Atlanta (via the TriCities TN) and flew into San Jose! It would have been so neat to have met someone else who was traveling out for the show!

Well, I have about 7 pics from both nights of shows. If you are interested:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/swatsonimages/]My Flickr Page[/url]

(And thank you again and again for allowing me to bring my camera!!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 09:44AM by Mtn. Girl.
February 28, 2009 03:28PM
Great Photos!

You had better seats then me for the talking music gig.

:)

Again, next time I'd like to meet some of you. O Well...
February 28, 2009 04:52PM
[quote nall]you want to pick up:

isopanisad radio hour
coroner's gambit
the sub-pop 7"
ghana
zopilote machine[/quote]

Thanks, Nall! I've got Zopilote Machine and Protein Source--I'll look for the others.
February 28, 2009 07:56PM
[quote nall]you want to pick up:

isopanisad radio hour
coroner's gambit
the sub-pop 7"
ghana
zopilote machine[/quote]

I'm starting to think I should have skipped my two exams and blown some tuition money on flight to SF to catch this (and the night prior). It sounds like an amazing night.
March 03, 2009 01:46AM
Nall!
Thanks for making all of my San Francisco dreams come true. I'm not sure how I instinctively knew the show was NOT TO BE MISSED, but I was right on. And YOU, my lamb, are right on.
You'll always have a friend in Milwaukee.
Mary Catherine
March 06, 2009 09:00PM
I parked right in front of the Swedish American Hall, then went into the cafe to wait for them to open the doors.

The nice man in the cafe told me to "turn your tires towards the street, or you'll get a ticket."

I wanted to say "Turn your tires towards the street, and stay sweet" then bust out into singing Dilaudid. I refrained.

:)
March 08, 2009 08:28AM
[quote John]no not a live dvd, I'm against those in principle for the most part, absolutely would not release a dvd of a show unless it met some pretty stringent criteria (and that's not gonna happen, making new records is more important to me)[/quote]

I think that's understandable, but I nonetheless hope it happens some day, because it's probably the closest I'll get to attending a show - unless you can squeeze Prague in en route to NC.
March 09, 2009 03:24PM
Days late, and probably a dollar short, but thought I'd toss in my two cents any way!
When I first saw this show was happening, I looked at the date, and my calendar and thought it was hopeless. I would have to be in SF that night, then back to Santa Cruz to work at 7.. after a vicious round of midterms.
Then I got a text from my brother at 2am telling me he bought me a ticket. I'm not sure I have ever been so happy about a drunken 2 am text!

And so long story short, I didn't sleep for +48 hours, failed a few midterms, but I am overly glad I that I did! This was easily the best show I have ever seen.
Thanks John! You made my year!
March 09, 2009 04:27PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 09:43PM by Caliclimber.
September 18, 2011 12:13PM
did everyone else know video of this show is up on the interwebs? Like perfect, professional video. I did not know this.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-mountain-goats/video/jenny_1001085.html

although it seems all the song names are off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 12:17PM by Wild Creature.
September 18, 2011 04:37PM
[quote="Wild Creature"]
did everyone else know video of this show is up on the interwebs? Like perfect, professional video. I did not know this.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-mountain-goats/video/jenny_1001085.html

although it seems all the song names are off.[/quote]

WHOA. Thanks for the link! They have 4 full tMG shows up but they are chopped into weird chunks... I'm currently downloading them and I'll patch them together to make a nice long video for each show and post a link up here... stay tuned!

Edit: this is more painstaking than I thought... encoding the Swedish-American Hall show now. I downloaded all the individual song videos but the videos need to overlap to sync up correctly so it takes me a little while to patch the separate videos together. At least I made my weekend productive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 05:41PM by butter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login