Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF

February 27, 2009 02:44AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
no not a live dvd, I'm against those in principle for the most part, absolutely would not release a dvd of a show unless it met some pretty stringent criteria (and that's not gonna happen, making new records is more important to me)

how bout we just chill about it until I can tell you the whole deal, k thx cool xoxo jd
February 27, 2009 03:08AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Ok. Cool beans.
February 27, 2009 04:11AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
John
well, as it turns out, this company you've heard of was shooting the show for later broadcast - they sent me a thing to sign about it today, will let you know if it works out, lots of people have to sign off on it for it to happen. so now you & I both know what those big cameras were about!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but they waited until afterwards to inform you and get your permission?

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud
February 27, 2009 05:52AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Asikari
I'm under 21, but I managed to get in by dragging my dad with me

i h8 you/my life.
February 27, 2009 08:20AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
For a long time when people used to ask me what m y favorite concert was. I'd say my favorite live act was the Mountain Goats but the best concert was probably The Stooges.

Not anymore. This is it, this is the best one I've seen. Guys, there are so many great songs on this setlist I got beaten into submission. The stuff I've heard a million times had a new power to them and the obscure fan friendly songs had an incredible deliveries the come from the years of wisdom he acquired after they were written.

Traveled all the way from D.C., fresh from being laid off. Got to high five the man as he walked passed me on the way out like he was the star QB who just completed a monster hail mary. And this was the night afterthe Q and A thing.

Add delicious beer being served (Fat Tire I believe, a really good belgian white) with John Vanderslice behind the bar (though I think he was there getting beer for his close friends as there was an attendent there.) I even saw the Johns hanging out at the bar area afterwords being super nice to everyone.

Once in a lifetime John. And your one in a million.
February 27, 2009 08:50AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Mr Glass
John
well, as it turns out, this company you've heard of was shooting the show for later broadcast - they sent me a thing to sign about it today, will let you know if it works out, lots of people have to sign off on it for it to happen. so now you & I both know what those big cameras were about!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but they waited until afterwards to inform you and get your permission?

Yeah that's correct - not a big deal, pretty common, people who tape do it too ("I taped the show, do you mind if I share it?"winking smiley & frankly I prefer it that way - knowing that I'm being recorded tends to diminish my performance, it's one reason you don't hear more new/rare stuff at shows - I look out & see cell phone cameras pointing & the air kinda goes outta me
February 27, 2009 08:51AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
btw thank you everybody for the kind words about the show, be assured that it was entirely my pleasure
JRM
February 27, 2009 10:13AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Am I right in guessing that there is a request not to share the setlist? (I competely respect that, but I just want to save myself the trouble of checking here all day.)
February 27, 2009 11:32AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
OK NOW I FEEL BAD.

What I spend a lot of my free time doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 12:00PM by little insect.
February 27, 2009 11:54AM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
come on, now. no need to be too harsh on the young'ns. Chelt's disappointment is understandable.

Just know that as much as we all drink to Mr. Darnielle's health, his career will be a very, very long one, so there will be plenty of time for us all to see him.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
February 27, 2009 01:18PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
imo disappointment does not have to = complainerpants.

omg. omg. omg!
not a dude.
hugs-n-cupcakes.
February 27, 2009 01:55PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
JRM
Am I right in guessing that there is a request not to share the setlist? (I competely respect that, but I just want to save myself the trouble of checking here all day.)

The setlist is a bit of a touchy subject. John stated that he didn't want people complaining with a new tour and new music rolling out that they didn't get the same songs as the San Francisco crowd. And its understandable, the man's not Wayne Newton; tying him to some of those songs too closely diminishes a lot of the verve of the band.
February 27, 2009 01:59PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Neal: Sorry we didn't get to meet up at the show. If you were able to high 5 Mr. Darnielle at the show, we were likely pretty close to each other. I was the drunk guy. I will be at the DC show, maybe we could meet up for a drink.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
February 27, 2009 02:05PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
That sounds good Wild Creature. I look forward to it.
February 27, 2009 02:11PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Neal
JRM

The setlist is a bit of a touchy subject. John stated that he didn't want people complaining with a new tour and new music rolling out that they didn't get the same songs as the San Francisco crowd. And its understandable, the man's not Wayne Newton; tying him to some of those songs too closely diminishes a lot of the verve of the band.

oh right. tis a shame though! i think those that didn't go just want to share in the excitement of seeing rare songs being played, rather than screaming out requests for those songs at gigs to come. i could be wrong though lol.

[kidsteel.bandcamp.com]
February 27, 2009 02:30PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
scotlanded
disappointment has to = nannerpuss.

~i'm gonna kill all the judges~
February 27, 2009 02:43PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
Neal

Not just that but he basically said if he hears people yelling for these songs on tour it will almost guarantee he doesn't play them. Not knowing them may be to people's benefit during the tour! For those who need to know I'm sure the setlist will get out eventually. They always do. smiling smiley
February 27, 2009 02:55PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
scotlanded
imo disappointment does not have to = complainerpants.

uh, sorry?

its just seriously frustrating that i was so close and yet so far from what people are kind of describing as the best show ever. im kind of done whining about it anyway if it makes you feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 02:56PM by chelt.
February 27, 2009 02:58PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
why are you guys being hard on chelt

can we please spread love here, you know it's the way I'd like things so get with the love rainbow positivity dolphin waterfall program y'all

sorry you didn't get in C!
February 27, 2009 03:49PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF

If you're wondering who to blame - I want to praise his name with songs and feasting.
February 27, 2009 04:02PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
nicely done, kaytree!

~i'm gonna kill all the judges~
February 27, 2009 04:23PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
LeVar looks like he's about to crash the Enterprise or something - who knew reading was so exciting?
February 27, 2009 04:53PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
My aunt was on reading rainbow once!

Coolest moment of my first 4 years.

What I spend a lot of my free time doing.
February 27, 2009 05:03PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
i put those 3 vids up on youtube. i'll happily take them down if that's what's preferred. given what John said at the show, i tried to limit it mostly to songs that are more commonly available, and made sure to put the camera away to respect his wishes for certain songs.

anyhow, i didn't know of this forum until now, but have been a big fan for a few years, so i'll use this post to say thank you for such memorable songs and performances!
February 27, 2009 05:07PM | Re: 2/25/09 Swedish American Hall SF
John

Yeah that's correct - not a big deal, pretty common, people who tape do it too ("I taped the show, do you mind if I share it?"winking smiley & frankly I prefer it that way - knowing that I'm being recorded tends to diminish my performance, it's one reason you don't hear more new/rare stuff at shows - I look out & see cell phone cameras pointing & the air kinda goes outta me

sorry, i wasn't aware of this, my bad. would it be best to take 'em down?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 45 on October 20, 2014