Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite bits of on stage banter

Posted by sizemoresr 
Re: Favorite bits of on stage banter
August 09, 2007 08:29AM
Yeah.
Altough that [i]has[/i] been the excuse for some of the weirder crimes of humanity through the ages.
August 10, 2007 03:46PM
Little bit of bantar from the Black Cat in Washington D.C. Spring 2005. Roughly remembered.

"Ok. for the record, I said this last night. So those of you who listen to the bootleg from the night before don't go away jipped, thinking you got this incredibly unique spur of the moment concert expirience.

But we all know one of the best introductions in any album is when N.W.A. goes 'Who's My Motherfuckin' Producer ?' which is, yeah, Terminator X. So for this gentlemen right here, 'Who's My Motherfuckin' Producer !? '"

To which all of us in the know yelled John Vanderslice. Nice moment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2007 03:46PM by Neal.
September 19, 2007 02:48AM
I was just listening to the 2004-10-19 Village Tavern show and this cracked me up. In the intro for Dilaudid, he's describing how he needs Mr Vanderslice's help to get up and record the album, when he's all:

"oh, I don't feel that I can sing today, John. I think I should just lie in bed staring at the ceiling and contemplating my inner darkness."

Just the voice he puts on for it cracks me up. I am a simple man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 02:48AM by Duncan.
September 19, 2007 11:19PM
hahaha sounds rad, i wish i was there
September 20, 2007 01:10AM
[quote Duncan]I was just listening to the 2004-10-19 Village Tavern show and this cracked me up. In the intro for Dilaudid, he's describing how he needs Mr Vanderslice's help to get up and record the album, when he's all:

"oh, I don't feel that I can sing today, John. I think I should just lie in bed staring at the ceiling and contemplating my inner darkness."

Just the voice he puts on for it cracks me up. I am a simple man.[/quote]
that is definitely one of my favorite shows.
September 20, 2007 09:16AM
[quote Neal]
But we all know one of the best introductions in any album is when N.W.A. goes 'Who's My Motherfuckin' Producer ?' which is, yeah, Terminator X. So for this gentlemen right here, 'Who's My Motherfuckin' Producer !? '"
[/quote]

Oh I have the bootleg from that. It's Public Enemy and they say "What's the name of my DJ?" and John turned it into "What's the name of my producer."
A classic classic moment.

Also: my favorite is probably The Mountain Goat Shirt Song...does that really count? Oh and this moment...from some show last fall...in NYC, maybe? John talks about writing all the songs when Peter is in the shower except for one which he got the idea for when Peter was in the room so he had to go out into the hall and write it because Peter had already taken a shower. Then Peter says "I take full credit." wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 09:17AM by Iminmaya.
May 20, 2009 11:22PM
I'm bumping this. It would help my banter book, and I'm sure there are plenty of newer gems from the Gone Primitive tour.
May 20, 2009 11:51PM
[quote=John]Well, I would have appeared to have broken the first string of the evening. Is Mr Vanderslice available? John are you here or are you downstairs?... I'll take that as a downstairs.... Gove me a second; talk amongst yourselves--I'll give you a topic: "Uh, why are these people in my songs [i]so fucked up[/i]?"[/quote]

Between and Poltergeist and The Monkey Song, The Empty Bottle, Chicago, 2002.
May 26, 2009 01:16AM
Before "In the Craters on the Moon," can't remember what show:

[quote]People think that the suicidal are sitting there suffering in their own pain all day, just stewing, sitting there getting ready to express it. But really, what the suicidal are doing is watching Wheel of Fortune. Perhaps having a bowl of Frosted Flakes. Maybe another bowl. Somewhere in the middle of the second bowl, the meaningless of the entire universe begins to close in on them.[/quote]
May 26, 2009 02:01AM
I was just listening to the Easy Street Records (Queen Anne) - Seattle, WA recording. The track is called "this is totally nerve-wracking"

John compares putting out his new album with starting a new job. The waiting and anticipation.

I am starting a new job next month. It feels like a bottle neck to me. Just waiting. Hoping that everything I put together is good enough.
May 26, 2009 08:36AM
[quote alectherins]I am starting a new job next month.[/quote]

Congrats on the new job Alectherins!! :D

May 26, 2009 12:15PM
haha, the easy street show had that awesome dowshe requesting "track number two," to which JD brutally responds "I don't remember my songs by the sequence on the album!"
May 26, 2009 12:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 11:08PM by Caliclimber.
May 26, 2009 12:35PM
[quote=John]Do you think that I downloaded the album??[/quote]

then it just keeps getting better as the dude keeps digging himself deeper... there's good inter-audience heckling there as well...
June 01, 2009 03:20PM
4 of my favourite examples of kick ass tMG banter:

1. can't remember when or where it's from but i love the one where, in reference to a song off we shall all be healed, JD goes off on one (in the best possible way) about how meth heads lookin to score twenty bucks off you so they can get their car fixed when all they wanna do is buy speed and how they really believe they mean what they say when they promise to give it back but 'as sure as i'm standing here you will never see those twenty dollars again'.

2. one before a version of rockin rockin where he tells of how that song came to be and does an impression of franklin bruno doing jonathan richman.

3. then the version of the sign where JD talks about playing ninja gaiden and turning the sound down so he could listen to the song over the top of it.

4. the final work nicely two in conjunction. both before i've got the sex
20/03/1996 at the garage "this is a song about the point at which it all goes to pieces and you're holding on very very tightly because it's the only thing you had and it's called i got the sex"
14/11/1997"this is a song about a moment that all of you are going to come to sooner or later and i want you to think of me and curse my name when you do. it0s called i've got the sex"
June 01, 2009 03:50PM
intro to Broom People a couple years ago at the Bowery Ballroom that concludes with "Fuck you guys, I don't even like King Crimson!"

June 03, 2009 05:39AM
transcript of the 1st of the examples of awesome between song banter, so so great:

19/10/2004 the village tavern.

“This is on the newest album it’s about all your friends who borrow money from you and they say they’re going to use it to fix the car but what they’re actually gonna do is use it to buy speed. God bless them. Love them while you have them cos they’ll all be dead by the time they’re 24. This is called Linda Blair Was Born Innocent…”
Song is played.
“…When Gary says that he will pay you back the $5 that he’s fixing to borrow from you he doesn’t feel like he’s lying. But it’s not how we feel that matters. No, it’s whether we’re actually gonna pay back the $5. Now I like Gary as much as you do, but as sure as I’m standing here right now, you’re never gonna see those $5 again!”

perfect.
June 03, 2009 09:54PM
[quote pers0na]

2. one before a version of rockin rockin where he tells of how that song came to be and does an impression of franklin bruno doing jonathan richman. [/quote]

This is my Zoop request.
June 05, 2009 11:12AM
[quote Caliclimber][quote blackliner]that awesome dowshe requesting "track number two," to which JD brutally responds "I don't remember my songs by the sequence on the album!"[/quote]
Haha I forgot about that. That is classic banter[/quote]
I sympathize with this dude if the track 2 he was requesting was from [i]Zopilote Machine[/i].
June 05, 2009 03:12PM
[quote truckface]
I sympathize with this dude if the track 2 he was requesting was from [i]Zopilote Machine[/i].[/quote]

Hahaha truth.
dp
June 05, 2009 06:49PM
My favourite bit of banter atm is actually from Franklin Bruno an an EGs show. During the introduction to Carmen Cicero, as John is haranguing people to sing by saying "it's just one word, repeated sixteen times, and it's obscene. No. not realy" FB pops up and says "And it's HAM".
It makes me giggle.
June 05, 2009 10:38PM
At the Black Cat in 2008 (first Goats show I ever saw!), John told us this huge story about Mr. Rogers going to the senate to ask for funding,
[quote=John]
He did this Jedi mind tricks thing on them--but all he was doing was being himself!--he just went up and the senator said "Alright, Rogers, you've got your 15 minutes" and he says "Thank you, so much. I have to tell you that the emotional lives of children are very important to me..." and you could fell the vibe just go though the Senate, it's like, Mr. Rogers is about to OWN all of you. And when he gets done with you...!

So I was doing that, right, watching that footage, and just now when I finished playing that song I thought, you know, I can't say it better than Mr. Rogers did.

Neighbors, you make each day a special day for me. So thank you for coming. Now let me play one last hateful song about people divorcing each other, and then we can all get some rest.[/quote]

The hateful song was See America Right, and he sang it as "Your love is like a dark cloud full of rain, neighbor, it's always right there up above you"
June 05, 2009 10:50PM
These are both from the '97 Madison show that was posted not too long ago.

When people were screaming for songs, John says wait, what did that guy say? The guy screams back, then you hear John say, 'Pressure? The Billy Joel song? Man I hate that song.'

At the end of the string break John was talking about MTV and how Nina (the 99 luft balloons song) was "the first women to successfully make it through the MTV thing without shaving her pits. And we were hoping that Nina would set a new trend in femininity on MTV but, uh, Lil Kim fixed that. And the nail that Lil Kim didn't drive through feminism Mariah Carey finished off.
June 06, 2009 08:57PM
[quote brightbluelight]
At the end of the string break John was talking about MTV and how Nina (the 99 luft balloons song) was "the first women to successfully make it through the MTV thing without shaving her pits. And we were hoping that Nina would set a new trend in femininity on MTV but, uh, Lil Kim fixed that. And the nail that Lil Kim didn't drive through feminism Mariah Carey finished off.[/quote]

Actually, that was neither a feminist nor an aesthetic statement on Nena's side.

The vast majority of women didn't shave their armpits (nor their legs or any other parts of their bodies) in Germany in the 80s (or before that).

Even when PJ Harvey showed off her unshaved armpits on the cover of the NME in the 90s this would have gone mostly unnoticed in Europe if it hadn't been for the outrage this caused across the Atlantic.
June 07, 2009 01:18AM
[quote Netzhaut][quote brightbluelight]
At the end of the string break John was talking about MTV and how Nina (the 99 luft balloons song) was "the first women to successfully make it through the MTV thing without shaving her pits. And we were hoping that Nina would set a new trend in femininity on MTV but, uh, Lil Kim fixed that. And the nail that Lil Kim didn't drive through feminism Mariah Carey finished off.[/quote]

Actually, that was neither a feminist nor an aesthetic statement on Nena's side.

The vast majority of women didn't shave their armpits (nor their legs or any other parts of their bodies) in Germany in the 80s (or before that).

Even when PJ Harvey showed off her unshaved armpits on the cover of the NME in the 90s this would have gone mostly unnoticed in Europe if it hadn't been for the outrage this caused across the Atlantic.[/quote]

Paula Cole tried in the 90's as well, but she couldn't get out from behind that damn Dawson's Creek theme song fame.

I don't have the written transcription, but I really liked when during the 2008 philly show he played "The Boys are Back in Town" and people started yelling for him to play "Ignition" and he goes into a rant about how it was a silly one time thing and he won't play it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login