Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?

January 13, 2012 12:15PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
SaveMeASeat
Careful schlack, I hear the cake is a lie!

hilarious cake story:

back in the day, the first pink floyd cd box set came out, the 1992 shine on box. had a bonus cd of the early pink floyd singles, 10 tracks i'd never heard before, and i was just getting into syd era pf. but, i didn't have enough money to buy that bitch. it was like, 100 some bux. and, i already had the albums in the box. i just wanted the singles disc, but of course, you had to spend 100 bux to get it.

so here's what i did.

for some reason i had an old piece of stale cake, about a month old. it was stiff, nothing growing on it, it was in a covered glass cake dish, get me? i brought it with me to the mall in my coat pocket. i go in to sam goody, buy the damn thing with my close to maxed credit card, and go out to my car. open, take out singles disc, insert slice of old stale cake, and walk back in, looking annoyed.

i walk up to the dood at the counter and open the box saying, "is this some kind of joke? the only thing i wanted from this box was the singles disc and it wasn't frickin in there. what the fuck is that shit? i want my money back, i'm gonna walk to the other end of the mall and buy from 'everyday music,' they don't have shit in their cd cases!" dood looked at it, didn't even want to touch the cake, i'm not sure he knew what it was. but i was just in there a couple minutes ago. so he gave me my money back. not sure why he didn't just offer me another from their stock. i sold upset incredulity pretty well i guess. what a rush.

to calm myself, i went to the food court and had a hot dog on a stick. watched the girls pump out some lemonade for me. couldn't wait to get home and listen to some "point me at the sky."
January 13, 2012 02:53PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
mike10k
SaveMeASeat

hilarious cake story:

back in the day, the first pink floyd cd box set came out, the 1992 shine on box. had a bonus cd of the early pink floyd singles, 10 tracks i'd never heard before, and i was just getting into syd era pf. but, i didn't have enough money to buy that bitch. it was like, 100 some bux. and, i already had the albums in the box. i just wanted the singles disc, but of course, you had to spend 100 bux to get it.

so here's what i did.

for some reason i had an old piece of stale cake, about a month old. it was stiff, nothing growing on it, it was in a covered glass cake dish, get me? i brought it with me to the mall in my coat pocket. i go in to sam goody, buy the damn thing with my close to maxed credit card, and go out to my car. open, take out singles disc, insert slice of old stale cake, and walk back in, looking annoyed.

i walk up to the dood at the counter and open the box saying, "is this some kind of joke? the only thing i wanted from this box was the singles disc and it wasn't frickin in there. what the fuck is that shit? i want my money back, i'm gonna walk to the other end of the mall and buy from 'everyday music,' they don't have shit in their cd cases!" dood looked at it, didn't even want to touch the cake, i'm not sure he knew what it was. but i was just in there a couple minutes ago. so he gave me my money back. not sure why he didn't just offer me another from their stock. i sold upset incredulity pretty well i guess. what a rush.

to calm myself, i went to the food court and had a hot dog on a stick. watched the girls pump out some lemonade for me. couldn't wait to get home and listen to some "point me at the sky."

This is the best thing ever.
January 13, 2012 03:09PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
man, i hope that is true.

i remember paying what was, to me, obscene money (40 english pounds in the year 2000ish) for the live version of the Wall in a nice box and some cool packaging.

I coveted it in my local store for ages; i bought other, cheaper things, secretly hoping i could dredge up the courage to ask the guy at the till for a listen... then, one day, i got drunk in the afternoon, withdrew my savings and bought it lock, stock.

It was good. Mike, i hope the singles disc was as good for you. I imagine it was.

i also wish i'd had your ingenuity!

also, moral: drinking solves problems.

let's get dressed up in costumes and dance by the bar.
January 13, 2012 03:13PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
point me at the sky and LET IT FLY

January 13, 2012 03:18PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
my friend thought it was the dumbest idea he ever heard, and that i must be some kind of super dumb maniac for even having thought it up in the first place. he was half right.

when i told him the story, before i pulled the disc slowly outta my backpack into the sunlight....i said

"piece of cake."

he just laffed and laffed. ROFL before it even had the initals.

i keep a slice of old stale cake in my freezer at all times now. you never know when it will come in handy.

but i don't think i'll have those teenage guts to try that shit again.

plus there's no more cd stores in the mall anymore.

i'm guessing.

haven't been to the mall in a decade.

----------------------------------------------------

see, now THAT, is stealing music.

i don't do that anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 03:20PM by mike10k.
January 13, 2012 03:20PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?

plus there's no more cd stores in the mall anymore.
but there are some wonderful patisseries.

let's get dressed up in costumes and dance by the bar.
January 13, 2012 03:21PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
i'm not hungry for patiss.
January 13, 2012 10:42PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
mike10k
SaveMeASeat

hilarious cake story:

so here's what i did.

I am in tears. Great job.

[www.last.fm]
January 14, 2012 08:53AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
A++++ would read again
January 14, 2012 08:26PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
myopic mirror

it wasn't supposed to be a sad story.
January 14, 2012 11:21PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
mike10k
myopic mirror

it wasn't supposed to be a sad story.

I was empathizing with the store clerk. There's a movie in here somewhere.

[www.last.fm]
January 15, 2012 11:30AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
a sad, sad movie.

like awakenings.

February 20, 2012 12:12AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
In all seriousness I had the curtains made for myself. I am willing to trade them for either a CCTTST or Coroners Gambit vinyl. Any takers?
February 20, 2012 11:56PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
Mike, you make this place fun. I wish I had ten thousand just like you!

justindaley.bandcamp.com
feearsofthemammoth.bandcamp.com
March 01, 2012 06:57PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
woejilli
2. Also, there was a short run of handmade, altered heavy metal album editions of Tallahassee that John made just before the album came out. I will try to find mine soon and post a scan.

3. I also have a funny local Ames Iowa article about JD that I should scan for the board

Still curious about these, woejilli, if you have the time.
March 14, 2012 05:17PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
Oh, now THIS is what every self-respecting tMG fan needs in their life.

"You know it is, it really is."

[twitter.com]
April 08, 2012 06:58PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
I can't believe I'm now struggling to find a reasonably priced CD of Sweden in the UK.

"You know it is, it really is."

[twitter.com]
April 08, 2012 11:02PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
maffj
I can't believe I'm now struggling to find a reasonably priced CD of Sweden in the UK.

I've never been exactly clear on the rules about posting links to buying stuff, so if this isn't kosher someone remove it or tell me to do so.

Try discogs. com. I'm not selling one, nor do I know if anyone is selling one, or will be in the near future, but discogs typically has a ton of stuff, and I see/buy from UK sellers all the time, which, by the way, if you see a postman in Lancaster with giant box full of records addressed to RR3 Pennsylvania 15417, tell him to hurry up.
April 21, 2012 02:49PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
Hi! So, I'm sorry to be one of those people who is asking for songs but I just want to HEAR what Going To Spirit Lake sounds like because the lyrics are absolutely brilliant (per usual, I mean, it's John we're talking about) and I can't find it anywhere!
April 23, 2012 09:11AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
emb93
Hi! So, I'm sorry to be one of those people who is asking for songs but I just want to HEAR what Going To Spirit Lake sounds like because the lyrics are absolutely brilliant (per usual, I mean, it's John we're talking about) and I can't find it anywhere!
Here you go. March 16th, 1996 in Belgium. You're going to want to listen to the whole show.

I've Got The Sex
California Song
Hello, Old Rabbit
Azo Tle Nelli In Tlalticpac?
The Birthday Song
Snow Crush Killing Song
Oslo 1888 (Take 1)
Oslo 1988 (Take 2)
Cathedral Song
The Window Song
New Star Song
The Irony Engine (Franklin Bruno)
I Know You've Come To Take My Toys Away
Going To Spain
Going To Spirit Lake
Orange Ball Of Pain
Deinara Crush
Nine Black Poppies
The Sign (Ace of Bass)
Going To Georgia
No, I Can't
Solomon Revisited
April 23, 2012 11:20AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
I'll say! Thanks sean!
I'd wondered (but never in front of Google) where Cathedral Song'd come from.

midgoat
April 23, 2012 11:47AM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
sean
emb93
Here you go. March 16th, 1996 in Belgium. You're going to want to listen to the whole show.

Or you could just listen to the version I pulled together for the "If We Never Get There At All" forum compilation.
[/plug]
April 23, 2012 12:09PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
Thank you thank you thank you!
So priceless.
April 23, 2012 03:59PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
StatusFrustratio
I'll say! Thanks sean!
I'd wondered (but never in front of Google) where Cathedral Song'd come from.
You're welcome! I forgot to say so in the setlist, but Cathedral Song is a Tanita Tikaram cover. Enjoy!
April 30, 2012 08:58PM | Re: What Elusive Mountain Goats Item Do You Desire Most?
I recently bought The Hound Chronicles on cassette from an English gentleman. It was a good buy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014