Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley

October 15, 2009 09:55PM | HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Hey do y'all remember this little project?

I want to put together another one this year.

Is there interest? What song would y'all be interested in doing? Remember, it's just one tMG song, but a bunch of different versions of it.

EDIT: OK so we scrapped the one-song idea. Instead, we are all adding one song to the mix, for someone else to record.

Here's how it works: Everyone who wants to participate will email me ( acowkickedme at gmail dot com ) with which song they want added to the compilation, as well as their forum handle. On Tuesday, October 20, I will be assigning everyone a DIFFERENT song than they one they submitted. Then you have a little over a month to record your song and get it back to me. The deadline is November 25th. JD gets a physical copy at the Philly show, and I'll post the mp3 files here!

John
it was actually 2 7"s btw and the mastering date was 5/1, I cancelled it this a.m.
This is why you should be nice to everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 03:07PM by acowkickedme.
October 15, 2009 10:05PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
October 15, 2009 10:24PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Another "Going to"?

do I have to hit you over the head with it?
nigelewan.com ยท last.fm
October 15, 2009 10:27PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Man, if I could find someone I knew that had the stuff to make this happen (basically, a 4 or 8 track or just a mac(?) I guess- I need to get more up to speed on home recording) I'd be so in.

Here's my high fidelity-style top 5 songs to do:
-Color In Your Cheeks
-Snow Crush Killing Song
-Linda Blair
-Attention All Pickpockets
-Jenny

trying to think of ones most people like that I can hear different ways in my head.

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
October 15, 2009 10:31PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I'd say the one that most embodies the spirit of this project would be Best Ever Death Metal Band - especially since the challenge is to make it sound fresh after we've heard it so many times.

Plus, I'd like to hear a totally-f'in-metal version of it.

It's just a noise. A noise you hear. When everything is awesome
October 15, 2009 10:46PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I was also thinking snow crush killing song. I wouldn't use the busted Gretsch I brought to Zoop II, though. That guitar has sadly retired to underneath the bed.
October 15, 2009 10:48PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
OOOH! I had another idea:

An "Orange Ball of __" medley. Which ones and how much of any of them is up to you.

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
October 15, 2009 11:02PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
DanMcGee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Plus, I'd like to hear a totally-f'in-metal
> version of it.

Dibs on the black metal version!!!

"There's good self-consciousness, and then there's toxic, paralyzing, raped-by-psychic-Bedouins self-consciousness." - David Foster Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 11:02PM by tkpeters.
October 15, 2009 11:23PM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
TKurata. TKurata. Tkurata. TKURATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
October 16, 2009 12:04AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I think the obvious counterpart to GtG is No Children. For me, anyway.
October 16, 2009 12:15AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Savemeaseat, I call your choices and raise you an Island Garden Song

Color In Your Cheeks would probably top my list though.
October 16, 2009 12:23AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Wild Creature
TKurata. TKurata. Tkurata. TKURATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

this.

I'm no physician, but there appears to be a dagger in my chest.
October 16, 2009 02:42AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I want in. Also, I like the Best Ever Death Metal Band idea. That being said, I'm open to any and all comers.
October 16, 2009 05:48AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I contributed to the GtG one last time out, and would like to join in again, but might I suggest doing something different than several versions of the same song this time? Not a slight on the project, which I think worked pretty well in that way, I just think that the richness of the tMG catalogue is part of the reason I guess we're all such fans, and it might be worth drawing on that richness in some way by opening it up to have different songs. In fact the range of different suggestions in this thread already kind of proves my point!

Maybe we could have some unifying theme instead...?
October 16, 2009 05:50AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Actually I just had an idea - everyone who participates could suggest a song, and then you get randomly assigned one of the songs which you then HAVE to do your own interpretation of.

Thoughts?
October 16, 2009 06:41AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
SaveMeASeat
Man, if I could find someone I knew that had the stuff to make this happen (basically, a 4 or 8 track or just a mac(?) I guess- I need to get more up to speed on home recording) I'd be so in.

Download Audacity. It's free and really easy to use.
October 16, 2009 07:11AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
This was so much fun last time! I wish I had time to go and visit my grandparents and get my grandad involved on double bass, that'd be the best.

El Nombre Wrote:
> Actually I just had an idea - everyone who
> participates could suggest a song, and then you
> get randomly assigned one of the songs which you
> then HAVE to do your own interpretation of.
>
> Thoughts?
As much as I like the different versions of the same song nd find that really interesting, I also I really like this, + if it has reminded me I owe someone a mix CD from last year when my computer broke. Dollabill, that's you. It's coming.
October 16, 2009 08:30AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
How about a "Going to" song based on where everyone is from ?
October 16, 2009 08:53AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Neal Wrote:
> How about a "Going to" song based on where
> everyone is from ?

Or just a tMG song about where you are from... ie Noctifer Birmingham or Matthew 25:21 for us Pennsylvanians. Everyone could also take and submit a photograph relating to the song, and I could use those photos to make a collage for the cover.

John
it was actually 2 7"s btw and the mastering date was 5/1, I cancelled it this a.m.
This is why you should be nice to everyone.
October 16, 2009 08:59AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Also I certainly would not mind getting the bus up to photograph Bridlington, I think my closest tMG place name to here.

In short I'm easy. I can just stay on this thread and keep posting about how enthusiastic I am about every idea, whilst quietly wondering how I'm going to do this without being able to play any instruments...
October 16, 2009 09:08AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Yeah that sounds a good idea too, although there might be a risk some people won't have even a tenuous connection between the place they live and a tMG song.

SF: you would have a fight on over Going to Bridlington! I think it's the only song connected to anywhere near me, and also one of my favourites. I guess it should go to the closest person - google maps puts me (in York) 41 miles away.. winking smiley
October 16, 2009 09:22AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Unlucky, I'm in Hull*.

*I am saying that because I doubt anyone has before.
But I a/don't mind doing something else and b/ don't mind sharing.
October 16, 2009 09:30AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
Heh, too true, Hull doesn't get much love does it. Actually, after further research, it seems Kirby Sigston is closer to me at 32 miles. Never been overly fond of that one, but I guess that might mean I'd be less concerned about murdering it with a cover!

Maybe the criteria could be revised to 'a tMG song about a place with which you have a strong personal connection', might mean people are a bit less restricted.
October 16, 2009 10:17AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
El Nombre-I really like your first suggestion.

As for places we're from/connected to...how the hell am I supposed to choose between Going to Kansas and Psalms 40:2?!?
dp
October 16, 2009 10:21AM | Re: HEY JOHN DON'T READ THIS THREAD AGAIN smiling smiley
I actually think it would be amazing if we re-recorded a whole album.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014