Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"saddest" TMG song

May 11, 2007 03:55AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I can't really decide what the "saddest" is, but "Cotton" hits me really hard emotionally.

après moi le déluge
May 11, 2007 07:04AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
esoderek
Is it me or are people overlooking Woke Up New?

It is indeed a very sad song, but I think it hints at a certain acceptance of loss, and of moving on from it(especially in the final verse), rather than the total, crushing inability to deal with it expressed in some of the other songs on the album (and in sadder/more despairing MGs songs in general).

That said, I'm still waiting for that damn future.
Maybe three will come along at once!
May 11, 2007 01:08PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Between the performance and the sentiment of the lyrics, I find "Blue Jays and Cardinals" to be quite moving. These lines in particular slay me:

"You bring something unreplaceble to each and every day
Or you used to anyway
But this world couldn't hold you
You slipped free"
May 14, 2007 02:24AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
frankie lee
mike24
dudes, what is the most emo mountain goats song?

cold milk bottle

I can't tell if this is funny to me or not, but at a particularly terrible point in my life I listened to cold milk bottle over and over and over again and completely bawled my eyes out. couldn't even tell you why. something about that whole album seems to turn the faucets on for me, but that song in particular.
May 14, 2007 11:44AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I'll go with Shadow Song, it's just so low-key and touching. Then Pale Green Things for content alone, and pretty much all of Get Lonely despite it not being a favourite album - the mood is all-pervasive.
May 17, 2007 01:56PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
"Cold Milk Bottle", "Pseudothyrum Song", "Waving At You", "Woke Up New" and "Your Belgian Things". I'd also say "Sometimes I Still Feel The Bruise" if that was a Darnielle original.
May 17, 2007 05:45PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
When I Get Home
May 17, 2007 05:48PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Also, was any one else woefully disappointed at this and their narrow-minded selection.

Although, I can agree with Radioheads "No Surprises."

A good sad song--for any connoisseurs of such music--is "The Tide" by The Spill Canvas.

double post.
May 18, 2007 01:06AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I find "Love Love Love" pretty sad and also "Pale Green Things". I was hit pretty hard by "Store" too.
EvilEivind
I'd also say "Sometimes I Still Feel The Bruise" if that was a Darnielle original.
It's a Trembling Blue Stars cover, quite an awesome one at that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2007 01:07AM by Stingray.
May 23, 2007 03:33PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Shadow Song, but I always wanted Johnny Cash to cover it. It would create a loop of infinite saddness that would have consumed the world.
May 29, 2007 06:24PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
mike
snow crush killing song, hands down. there's nothing sadder than being left behind. and there's no better way to be left behind than to realize that your partner is changing, and you are not. goddamn you for that, john. nice one.

yesyesyes
and i think that what's so sad about it is that it really hits home for some people, even if it's a friend or a family member, or yourself. it's a really calm kind of sad, which is the... saddest.
May 30, 2007 03:50PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
"song for dennis brown" always gives me a huge lump in my throat, for personal reasons. if i ever get to see it played live i'd fear a complete breakdown.
it's probably not technically the saddest, lyrics-wise, but it's the one that always, always, does it.
May 31, 2007 06:19PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
cobscook bay would be today's choice for me.
June 01, 2007 03:56PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
In light of recent events concerning my wife and me; Woke Up New gets my vote.sad smiley
June 02, 2007 08:57PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Nobody venture Raja Vocative?
June 21, 2007 12:58PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I'll put Going to Cleveland up there. Someone broke up with me over the phone in a pretty similar fashion a little while back, in that sort of "distnace will make this more humane fashion".

I left for NY the next day with the line "but i've always been real fond of you so i never would've treated you this way" stuck in my head.

Knowing someone would hurt you in a way that you would never imagine hurting them is just the saddest thing I could think of. And than for them to to pity you afterwards is even worse.
June 21, 2007 09:30PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
i may be alone here, but 'historiography' brought me to tears once. granted, it was after a hard break-up....
dl5
June 21, 2007 10:28PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
All of Full Force Galesburg is super sad.
Masher especially.
June 22, 2007 03:08PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Let me second Cobscook Bay.
June 22, 2007 05:35PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
cobscook bay gives me a good feeling for some reason. it seems like he's burying his past, moving on and looking ahead. i also find it amusing that he mentions dana point, of all places. dana point sucks ass.
July 03, 2007 11:56PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
woke up new makes me cry no matter what.
July 06, 2007 07:50PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
In Corolla is quite devastating, especially if you can relate to it in any way
July 08, 2007 12:39AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
woke up new
July 09, 2007 10:44AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
there is a line or two in 'broom people' that upsets me sickeningly.
dl5
July 10, 2007 12:06PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I have to say, after narrowing things down, the song that gets me the most is Minnesota. Hot damn, that's a heavy song. Again, that whole album is a downer, but that track takes the cake. I was just playing it on guitar the other night, and after a few minutes my girlfriend finally exclaimed, "could you play something less depressing?!"
Really, even just that riff is terribly sad sounding.
Favorite version would have to be the one from the radio show where it's just John on the tape recorder... not sure of the actual date or name, but it opens with Ultraviolet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 45 on October 20, 2014