Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"saddest" TMG song

May 10, 2007 01:42AM | "saddest" TMG song
In your humble opinion what is the "saddest" mountain goats song? smoking smiley
May 10, 2007 01:49AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Waving at You is very very high on the list.

and Snow Song.

I'm sure I'm leaving out tons, but those two were first to come to mind.
May 10, 2007 01:50AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
i forgot to mention, for some reason pseudothyrum song was the song i was listening to when i thought of that question
May 10, 2007 01:58AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
first thing that comes to mind is pale green things
May 10, 2007 02:10AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
the window song comes to mind

honestly, there aren't a lot of truly "sad" mountain goats songs IMO. The songs almost always involve people in bad situations, but I don't think they're sad about it. I think most of john's characters grit their teeth and make it through the day with half-sincere smiles on their faces, indifferent towards the world but still grateful to be alive and breathing.

at least that's my way of seeing it. lol
May 10, 2007 02:13AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
yeah frankie, thats kinda why i put "saddest" in quotations b/c i didn't really mean it literally..i guess i meant what song really hits you hard in a sad sort of way if you know what i mean
dl5
May 10, 2007 02:35AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Geez. There's a lot.
Hotel Road always hits me really hard.
Also, New Star Song.
May 10, 2007 02:41AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I was gonna say New Star Song. Oh, and Store.
May 10, 2007 04:13AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Moon Over Goldsbrough is sad

"They tried to get me - I got them first!"
May 10, 2007 04:18AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
dudes, what is the most emo mountain goats song?
May 10, 2007 04:26AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
mike24

The Garden Song.
May 10, 2007 08:35AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Usually Maize Stalk Drinking Blood comes to mind first. The "this is an empty country and i am the king, and i should not be allowed to touch anything" bit made me cry once sad smiley

And the song also carries the allusion about the geese flying by for no reason at all that's in the liner notes. I love those liner notes.
May 10, 2007 08:40AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Going to spain makes me sad smiley
May 10, 2007 10:12AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Shadow song kinda struck me as such, just from John's banter before it in most shows ('this song is for my friend who they found hanging from his closet')

Tollund man is also kinda a downer.

And, I also agree with everyone who said new star song.

John
it was actually 2 7"s btw and the mastering date was 5/1, I cancelled it this a.m.
This is why you should be nice to everyone.
May 10, 2007 10:44AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
acowkickedme
Shadow song kinda struck me as such, just from John's banter before it in most shows ('this song is for my friend who they found hanging from his closet')

Tollund man is also kinda a downer.

And, I also agree with everyone who said new star song.
I second this.
May 10, 2007 11:05AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
snow crush killing song, hands down. there's nothing sadder than being left behind. and there's no better way to be left behind than to realize that your partner is changing, and you are not. goddamn you for that, john. nice one.
May 10, 2007 11:22AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I too vote for Snow Crush Killing Song.

So simple, so... (some kind of universal frustration/despair sound required here, rather than a word).
May 10, 2007 11:28AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
I think The Coroner's Gambit, On Juhu Beach, New Asian Cinema and Get Lonely are all pretty sad overall. Close your eyes and point at a song off one of those and you're bound to come up with a sad song. Nova Scotia, Poltergeist and Song For My Stepfather are pretty sad too.
dl5
May 10, 2007 11:54AM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
megan_d
I was gonna say New Star Song. Oh, and Store.

Oh yeah... I was going to list that one but I just couldn't think of it when the time came to type.

Really, any song with situations that I can see my girlfriend and myself in make me sad. Or at least really emotional. Sometimes it's just too real.
That's some really fucking powerful writing!
May 10, 2007 12:27PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Is it me or are people overlooking Woke Up New?

www.esoderek.com
May 10, 2007 02:39PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
mike24

cold milk bottle
May 10, 2007 04:18PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
Source Decay.
May 10, 2007 04:49PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
mike
snow crush killing song, hands down. there's nothing sadder than being left behind. and there's no better way to be left behind than to realize that your partner is changing, and you are not. goddamn you for that, john. nice one.
well put.

and attention all pickpockets, yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2007 04:54PM by sean.
May 10, 2007 05:41PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
"maybe sprout wings"<3
and maybe "in the hidden places", mostly because of the performance he gave of it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2007 05:50PM by two-headed girl.
May 10, 2007 10:12PM | Re: "saddest" TMG song
aigneymie
Usually Maize Stalk Drinking Blood comes to mind first. The "this is an empty country and i am the king, and i should not be allowed to touch anything" bit made me cry once sad smiley

And the song also carries the allusion about the geese flying by for no reason at all that's in the liner notes. I love those liner notes.

I agree with you on this, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's devastating. Source Decay hits pretty hard too. Game Shows Touch Our Lives is a good one to mention, and Snow Crush Killing Song is saddening too, though it's arguable that I've listened to it so many times that it's become less effective for me.

My vote goes to Poltergeist, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 8 on June 12, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 113 on May 17, 2014