Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black Pear Tree

October 23, 2008 10:16PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Well my BPT shipped to my family's house (still the primary address on my credit card I think) but I picked it up today!

Got a plain black one, but I ordered sort of late I think so I expected it. It's still cool as hell. Can't play it tonight but I'm excited just holding it and looking it over.

Tim thanks so much for all the help and guidance of the process, and for making it so easy to get a hold of something exclusive (for now at least) like this. I couldn't have asked for a better or nicer/easier process. Thanks again, I'll display the 3BoS stickers with pride!

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
October 24, 2008 09:23AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
I ordered mine right when it went up on the site and still have yet to receive it...boo hoo.
October 24, 2008 10:29AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
the songs are very different from classic tMG but still are the most awesome thing my ears have ever experienced.

October 24, 2008 03:14PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
I'm in the same boat, teach. I think it shipped last thursday, if I'm not mistaken? Oh well!
October 24, 2008 06:02PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
so, so good. can't stop listening. not to rub it in, but, you know.

seriously, you guys. i'm kind of jealous of people who have yet to hear it, just because i'd like to be able to hear it for the first time again.

here's what my copy looks like. it's gorgeous:

the title track and bring our curses home are currently battling it out for supremacy. once again, thank you john. i think the last thing i had expected was to be able to enjoy 10 fantastic new songs and a tour this fall. it's certainly making it easier to deal with annoying day-to-day stuff lately.
October 24, 2008 06:29PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Mine arrived here in sunny Wales today - now I have to dig out my turntable. Thanks John & Kaki for this, and thanks to Tim for being so great.
October 24, 2008 10:46PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
thom
the title track and bring our curses home are currently battling it out for supremacy.

really? Bring our curses home? For me, that's the track my ears skip over the most. But title track and mosquito repellent? Now there's a battle for the ages.

In fact, I like Kaki's interpretation of John's lyrics so much that my brain actually thought about how incredible it would be if she sang Rachel's part on some older songs.

(p.s. if it happens on tour, someone really must tape it)

EDIT: to use brackets correctly

~o-o~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 10:47PM by specspecs.
October 24, 2008 11:54PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
specspecs
really? Bring our curses home? For me, that's the track my ears skip over the most.

to be honest, that was my original assessment as well. but, i don't know. had a shitty day today, came home from work, put the record on, and something about that song hit me that had never hit me before. i kept going back to it.

then again, it could just be me. one of those odd idiosyncrasies of personal preference.
October 26, 2008 05:10PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
hate myself for missing out on this...
October 26, 2008 05:37PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Hey guys -

Am I the only one having a really hard time de-staticizing the color vinyl of BPT? I've gruv-glided it multiple times, cleaned my stylus, and brushed the record as well. The S's still are still painful. Especially on the title track. "Somebody's gonna get hurt, somebody's gonna get hurt."

Just me?

My other records sound fine, and I've never had this trouble before. Any thoughts or advice would be super 'preciated.
October 26, 2008 07:43PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
I scored a copy at the Fillmore show last night, listening through it for the first time. Such a big departure, but I do like it.

truckface
Hey guys -

Am I the only one having a really hard time de-staticizing the color vinyl of BPT? I've gruv-glided it multiple times, cleaned my stylus, and brushed the record as well. The S's still are still painful. Especially on the title track. "Somebody's gonna get hurt, somebody's gonna get hurt."

Just me?

My other records sound fine, and I've never had this trouble before. Any thoughts or advice would be super 'preciated.

Hey! I am currently having this exact problem, except mine's not colored. I went at it with my RCA record cleaner, and I thought that's just how it sounded. I guess I'll go at it again. I didn't know that was related to static.

eesh, it even crackles at me when i flip it over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 08:08PM by snusmumriken.
October 26, 2008 11:07PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
truckface
Hey guys -

Just me?

I have a plain black one and had the same problem, which is unfortunate because the album is so great.

Also, does anyone know why the album is numbered "CD002" on the spine? Is the colored vinyl CD001? Or is SM?
nnt
October 26, 2008 11:40PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
SM doesn't have a catalog number on the packaging, but the actual records are labelled "CD001." My colored BPT is also cataloged CD002 on the spine, so I'm pretty sure the one obvious is the only difference between the colored and black copies.
October 27, 2008 12:01AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Cadmean Dawn, I think it is, is John's publishing copyright thingy thing isn't it? And because he released them himself... I think it makes sense.
October 27, 2008 12:30AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
truckface
The S's still are still painful. Especially on the title track. "Somebody's gonna get hurt, somebody's gonna get hurt."

Just me?

I noticed that it was particularly treble-y and the sibilants really hit. Sounds like the mix to me. Could be very intentional by the artists. I didn't find it offensive, just noticeable. Some amazing songs, regardless!
October 27, 2008 08:09AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
iatethelotus
Cadmean Dawn, I think it is, is John's publishing copyright thingy thing isn't it? And because he released them himself... I think it makes sense.

Ah, yes. In that case, I'm glad John's had the foresight to allow for 999 releases before needing to change the numbering.
October 27, 2008 08:14AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Can't wait for a non-vinyl release, since the vinyl sound is not quite as romantic and nostalgic for me as it may be for others. I did have a table at one point when I was heavy into punk and what-not, but sold it when I was still in middle school along with the few records I owned.

However, I did still for some reason buy CCtTST even though I can't play it, heh.
October 27, 2008 10:35AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
aigneymie
However, I did still for some reason buy CCtTST even though I can't play it, heh.
You don't what yer missing out onnnn.

I finally got my copy of BPT Saturday. Well worth the wait. I didn't really know what to expect, but man. It's reallll good.

Kaki King has such a nice/cute voice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 10:37AM by Cary.
October 27, 2008 11:55AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
portlandjosh
I noticed that it was particularly treble-y and the sibilants really hit. Sounds like the mix to me. Could be very intentional by the artists. I didn't find it offensive, just noticeable. Some amazing songs, regardless!

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Because what I'm hearing could no way have been intentional. It's kept me from listening to the record more than once all the way through. And even that time was a struggle.
October 27, 2008 03:02PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
truckface
portlandjosh

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Because what I'm hearing could no way have been intentional. It's kept me from listening to the record more than once all the way through. And even that time was a struggle.

I noticed that too.

At my house there's a turntable that can rip vinyl to wav and I was ripping mine for personal use (I'm not sharing it, don't ask, and even if I was going to--I can't, I'm on a DSL line with 49 other people and reset my connection every 2 min) and it sounded really fuzzy/tinny. I noticed that the bass was up on the equalizer on the turntable, I couldn't turn it down and have another listen because some douches wanted to watch some shitty VH1 show (the tv's in that room too). But on my laptop speakers I oddly do not notice the treble-y too-tinnyness of it.

Maybe try turning the bass down? It seems super counter-intuitive, but I'm guessing that's the problem because laptop speakers have no bass and I don't notice the too-much-treble-y-ness of it.
October 27, 2008 03:22PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
I got mine! Non-colored, but I don't mind - this is class.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 08:09PM by DanMcGee.
October 27, 2008 09:52PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Got mine today!

It's not colored vinyl, as requested, but I got a couple of 3bos stickers. My record player is on loan right now, so I get to listen to it on Wed. and put it on Mp3 for the car.

Oh sweet day. No Mario for it to go next to, though.
October 28, 2008 10:44AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Just to briefly redress my earlier whining...

The possibility of another pressing is great news for we mournful few nursing the EP shaped emptiness in our souls. Particularly great for the predictable dogmatists clinging to the notion that the iTunes Store is heresy incarnate.

Lovely pictures, incidentally. Even if I do hope you choke on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 10:45AM by cantlin.
October 28, 2008 04:24PM | Re: Black Pear Tree
Can someone hum me a few bars? Thank you in advance.
October 29, 2008 02:15AM | Re: Black Pear Tree
My god, it's an atmospheric little record isn't it? So awesome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Users: 8 on June 12, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 113 on May 17, 2014