Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hail and Farewell

February 20, 2007 11:02AM | Hail and Farewell
So I hope I don't violate some unwritten rule here, but I'm going to go ahead and say it.

This is the thread for anything concerning the lost album, "Hail and Farewell Gothenburg"

John, I won't take it personally if this thread is quietly removed...and I'll also go ahead and say, this is not the place for "holy shit man, do you have it? can you send it to me? etc. etc"

Seyrussly...none of that
February 20, 2007 11:22AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
holy shit man, do you have it, can you send it to me? etc. etc.
February 20, 2007 12:27PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
can we have some background on this?
February 20, 2007 12:44PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
h'ok, here we go

the wikipedia

"First, of course, and most important for us here at Gorillapants is the shocka leak of the 1995 Mountain Goats album Hail and Farewell, Gothenburg. Yes, that Gothenburg. In Sweden. It was originally supposed to be a follow-up to Johnny D.’s very own Sweden, but for some reason (many have been bandied about: personal nature of the songs, unhappiness with the album’s story arc, etc) it was never put out there for public consumption. On Friday evening of last week, it suddenly appeared in the usual places. Go figure. Anyway, there are conflicting stories as to the kosherness of the leak–the head honcho at megafansite themountaingoats.net says Darnielle cleared it, other bloggers report that he asked them to take tracks down–so I won’t be posting any of them till I hear a clear answer. If you know where to look, it’s readily available, anyway. And I’ll go on record as saying that it’s a very, very good listen."

--Stolen unabashedly from girlpants.org

you get the idea.
February 20, 2007 02:42PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
It's a fantastic album.

Thank you wonderful Mountain Goats listserv.
February 20, 2007 02:47PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
it really is...I wasn't sure whether or not to come out and say that I'd found it, but...yeah

I found myself screaming along to it in my car this morning.

**edited for now embarrassing content

mmm, that's good catharsis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2008 05:08PM by skittixch.
February 20, 2007 06:06PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
im looking for a copy as well
i can trade i have a list of live or
the juhu beach cd my list is over at the
live thread.
February 20, 2007 08:16PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
I Love You. Let's Light Ourselves On Fire.

Man, but I love that song.
February 20, 2007 10:36PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
2 words: Milk Song
February 20, 2007 10:53PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
I remember I had the chance to burn this album from my friend, but turned it down because I remember somewhere John said he would appreciate it if everonye just left this album be unhead.
February 20, 2007 10:57PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
yeah, i downloaded it when it first leaked, but i haven't been able to bring myself to actually listening to it
February 20, 2007 11:50PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
jebreject
yeah, i downloaded it when it first leaked, but i haven't been able to bring myself to actually listening to it

Ohhhh man, you have got so much more will power than me.
February 21, 2007 01:04AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
honestly, i hate to hear about people sitting on perfectly good listening material. why? i mean, among fans, sharing these things is great. no one is asking anyone to use these songs to sell laundry detergent or fast food. i almost wish this topic was never brought up. anyone who has rare mountain goats material should be willing to share it. hell, that is what feeds our fanaticism afterall: material, new, old, and rare.
February 21, 2007 02:30AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
monkeyskull
honestly, i hate to hear about people sitting on perfectly good listening material.

Normally I would agree one hundred percent, but in the case of Hail and Farewell, where there is some doubt as to wether or not John actually wants us to hear the songs or not, it all gets a little complicated.

That said, I've listened to it, but I can understand why some people choose not to and I repect their choice in that mattter.
February 21, 2007 02:51AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
megan_d
monkeyskull
honestly, i hate to hear about people sitting on perfectly good listening material.

Normally I would agree one hundred percent, but in the case of Hail and Farewell, where there is some doubt as to wether or not John actually wants us to hear the songs or not, it all gets a little complicated.

Right, that's it exactly. I respect John a lot and the way I see it is if one of my friends who's in a band made a record and then decided he didn't want anyone to hear it, I would respect those wishes, 'cause I mean, he's gotta have his reasons. And I mean, it's kind of a flawed idea to assume that the fan/consumer/art lover/critic had some kind of inherent right to the work of the artist. At a certain point, the art no longer belongs to the artist, I agree with that completely, but it's up to the artist--not anyone else--to bring it to that point, to release it. I know I personally have two albums that I would definitely not want anyone to ever hear ever again, that are purposely never going to be repressed, and were I to become famous enough in my scene where there became a demand for it, I'd probably start sweatin'.
February 21, 2007 02:55AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
and as far as will power goes, i kinda like testing it, and anyway i'm enough of a masochist where i kinda enjoy denying myself something like that

not that it's something i have to actively think about--there are so many albums--so many mountain goats albums even--that it's not really that hard to resist, though i can't say i'm not curious and wouldn't like to hear it

maybe i'm just subconsciously waiting for the word to come down from upon high that it's okay to listen to it
February 21, 2007 03:10AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
jebreject
maybe i'm just subconsciously waiting for the word to come down from upon high that it's okay to listen to it

That's where I was for a while. I looked all over for a definitive yea or nay from John directly, but I never found one, and that proved reason enough for me after awhile.

If there was a big 'do-not-download' message, plain and simple where people who'd already been tipped off about the album would find it, chances are that those who would really be interested in it would respect John's wishes, having made them known directly...

ahem...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2007 03:10AM by skittixch.
February 21, 2007 04:03AM | Re: Hail and Farewell
Well, I mean, at this point, I'm sure he's resigned himself to it--it's out there and there's not really anything he can do about it but to me that's not the same as "okay, go ahead."

(man it's fucking weird talking about john as if he isn't around. i'm going to stop that, 'cause it's just too strange, even if he never reads this thread.)
February 21, 2007 02:49PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
Would someone mind pointing me in the direction of where John has said he doesn't want people listening to it? I have heard this second-hand before but never actually seen it.

I personally suspect he just likes the idea of having a "lost album."
February 21, 2007 03:13PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
jebreject

That's just teasing yourself?
February 21, 2007 05:45PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
honestly some of my favourite mountain goat songs ever.

i'm almost sad that h&f isn't publisized, because i think every fan should get to hear such great material, but hey, john has his reasons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2007 05:52PM by peacocks.
February 21, 2007 06:02PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
themountaingoats.net
comments from john darnielle on taboo vi: the homecoming.

A few words from John regarding Taboo VI: the Homecoming
When I wrote and recorded Taboo VI, I had no idea that anyone outside
of a few friends would ever hear it; neither did I hope that anyone
outside of those friends would ever express any interest in it. A
couple of the things on it (Going to Alaska, Eleven Bands, Solomon
Revisited, the Hank Williams song) are things I'd stand by if pressed,
though I wish I'd've known how to sing better back when they were
recorded. While I completely understand the collector's urge, I would
offer the following caveat to anyone trying to hunt down Taboo VI: it's
not what you think it is. Its successor, the Hound Chronicles, represented
an abrupt and total change in direction, and is the stylistic starting
point for all that followed. While I can't and wouldn't disown Taboo VI,
I'd like to offer this note of caution to those who like the later stuff
and are trying to get their hands on my first efforts: you probably won't
like it much, and if you pay an inflated price for it, you'll probably
feel cheated. Having said that, if you still feel inclined to hunt it
down, I do hope that you enjoy it on its own meager terms. It means
well and didn't want to hurt anyone. Except for maybe that one guy.
I hate that guy.

I know this only applies to Taboo IV, but personally I never knew much on the subject of old, unreleased songs until reading this note from John regarding Taboo IV. Having gotten into him during the LONG LIVE LO-FI! era, I guess I assumed John wanted to distance himself from lots of his old stuff. I don't really know how to feel about that, cuz I love some of the old stuff that he may not like so much. That said, I do like the fact that there are a bunch of tMg songs played live that will never be recorded. Also glad he still plays lots of old songs that are plenty covered in dust. (for anyone who might be interested: this Easy Street Records show is tagged wrong, after If You See Light comes the glory of Sinaloan Milk Snake Song)

But yeah, if something spills out again and John doesn't OK it, I'll certainly test the ol' willpower to abstain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2007 06:03PM by howardfinkel483.
dl5
February 21, 2007 07:09PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
It's a really great record, I stumbled upon it on accident. A lot of those songs were some of my favorite live tracks, and I was incredibly happy to hear the "official" versions of them.
Never heard anything about John not wanting it to be heard though.
The recording quality is odd though, it dosen't sound like any other Mountain Goats record.
At least not to me.
It's a bit hissy, but there's no tape grind.
Anyone know how it was recorded?
February 21, 2007 07:17PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
howardfinkel483
personally I never knew much on the subject of old, unreleased songs until reading this note from John regarding Taboo IV.

I might be misinterpreting what you mean here, but Taboo IV isn't unreleased.

And the note isn't a plea not to listen to Taboo IV, it's an apology for its quality. Artists' apologies for their work are not to be trusted.
February 21, 2007 07:30PM | Re: Hail and Farewell
after i'd heard it, i thought "get lonely" could have very well been a prequel or sequel to it.

it has a strange thin sound to it, different sounding than all other mountain goats productions.

the songs have the usual excellent writing, and an uber hardcore mountain goats fan (ie, all yous here) shouldn't go without a listen. once you give birth, it doesn't matter if you like the kid or not, the kid's out there and beautiful regardless.

though, i at first missed the idea that there is an unreleased mountain goats album, i'm positive that there are many more songs and albums that we haven't heard about or will. that's nice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014