Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp

April 30, 2012 01:55PM | REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Hello, what's this?

[www.midheaven.com]

The Man Himself
The songs you find on this compact disc originally appeared on two cassettes. To elaborate further about that—to say, for example, that the songs originally appeared 'on two cassettes that were released in ____ and ____'—would misrepresent the spirit of their time. These tapes did not have release dates. No one anticipated their coming into the world, and very few noticed or cared. All previous eras cross at some point into the territory of the unimaginable, and so it is with the days of tape-trading. The obscurity in which these songs were incubated and born and brought into their faint light is a state of being which has passed into history.

Somebody tell me we only celebrate April Fool's day at the beginning of the month.

Both will be reissued as a single release on CD or mp3 available June 26th.
April 30, 2012 02:05PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
April 30, 2012 02:08PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Order first. Ask questions later. That's my strategy.

[kidsteel.bandcamp.com]
April 30, 2012 02:44PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Very cool. Thanks for the heads up Dtrom
April 30, 2012 03:32PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
No cassette format reissue? :'(
April 30, 2012 03:36PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
I am shocked this reissuing project is actually happening, truth be told. As much as JD is all about heading forward and being only concerned with what is to come and all that jazz. I think it's great, but I'm completely shocked.

[www.last.fm]
April 30, 2012 04:01PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Um...WHAT? I've never heard of this place before - has anyone used it before and know it's legit? It seems to have other tMG stuff listed on there, this just all seems so out of the blue.

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
April 30, 2012 04:07PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
SaveMeASeat
Um...WHAT? I've never heard of this place before - has anyone used it before and know it's legit? It seems to have other tMG stuff listed on there, this just all seems so out of the blue.

It's legit. I've purchased a few things (including tMG stuff) from here over the years. Pretty surprised about this reissue, though.

ETA: Pitchfork and their disregard for Hebrew. Bastards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:20PM by Remy.
April 30, 2012 04:08PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Midheaven is definitely a legit source. Here's a Pitchfork article about the release.
April 30, 2012 04:17PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Awesome, thanks you guys. I just get nervous sending money info. to places I've never even heard of others interacting with before. Pre-order ahoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:17PM by SaveMeASeat.
April 30, 2012 04:19PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
How have you never heard of Midheaven Mailorder? Strange.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:19PM by Mr Glass.
April 30, 2012 04:53PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
stuff we've already heard?

c'mon.
April 30, 2012 04:57PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
I've never heard it/them.

let's get dressed up in costumes and dance by the bar.
April 30, 2012 05:03PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Wow, this was surprising to read, to say the least! There were plans for Shrimper to put these out on CD about 10 years ago (something alluded to in the liner notes to Protein Source or Bitter Melon Farm, IIRC), but it died on the vine.

And, yeah, Midheaven is the mailorder arm for Revolver USA distribution, who manufacturers and distributes Shrimper, so they are beyond legit and one of the finest indie institutions this country has. Revolver helped pay for the manufacturing of Nothing for Juice way back when, in exchange for favorable territorial rights -- helped out one broke indie dude!
April 30, 2012 05:08PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
hey what about שקט?

[kidsteel.bandcamp.com]
April 30, 2012 05:41PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
butter
sad smiley I waited and refreshed the page in case an icon hadn't loaded or something. Aside RE: June 20-year-old lofi rereleases, funny that this isn't, while Drag City are putting out Silver Jews' Dime Map/Arizona Record on tape when as far as I'm aware they were never tapes in the first place.

Folks ordering who didn't buy the Smooth Sounds compilation, might I recommend adding it in? It's $7.75 tape/$9.25 CD for 30-summin tracks and I have such a lot of fun every time I listen to it.

midgoat
April 30, 2012 05:51PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
I'm waiting for the 220g, virgin, dye-blackened vinyl, boxed LP edition.

StatusFrustratio
while Drag City are putting out Silver Jews' Dime Map/Arizona Record on tape when as far as I'm aware they were never tapes in the first place.

7" and LP*/CD respectively.
(*not 10" per DC's recent update)

StatusFrustratio
Folks ordering who didn't buy the Smooth Sounds compilation, might I recommend adding it in? It's $7.75 tape.

QFT. Also can't believe the tape is still in print. Ltd. to a few hundred iirc.
April 30, 2012 05:55PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
butter

April 30, 2012 06:31PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Tim Adams
And, yeah, Midheaven is the mailorder arm for Revolver USA distribution, who manufacturers and distributes Shrimper, so they are beyond legit and one of the finest indie institutions this country has. Revolver helped pay for the manufacturing of Nothing for Juice way back when, in exchange for favorable territorial rights -- helped out one broke indie dude!

Got it, that makes sense I'd just never been made familiar with this arm of their outfit. Very exciting!

Mr Glass
How have you never heard of Midheaven Mailorder? Strange.

I wasn't around in the heyday of Shrimper and when we've done mail stuff in the past I've ordered through 3BOS or others linked to on here - how would I have?

April 30, 2012 06:45PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
I just thought I saw it tossed around the forums all the time.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud
April 30, 2012 10:49PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Fuck yeah! Great news.

My music:
[www.facebook.com]
[jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com]
April 30, 2012 11:06PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Hooray. I asked for this sort of thing a while ago!

do I have to hit you over the head with it?
nigelewan.com · last.fm
May 01, 2012 12:27AM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
This is so awesome.

Zopilote Steel
hey what about שקט?

Apparently it's been renamed to "Untitled 1"

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.
May 01, 2012 11:08AM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
Very exciting! Hope Taboo VI will eventually see a re-release too.

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
May 01, 2012 01:12PM | Re: REISSUE: Hound Chronicles & Hot Garden Stomp
I don't think that will ever happen Evil. I'll refer you to paragraph 1 of the protein source of the future... now! liner notes:

"from the outset I'd like to warn any purists among you that neither The Hound Chronicles nor Hot Garden Stomp will be include here, since those two will appear together on a single CD at a later date. The only party still absent once I finish cleaning house will be Taboo V!: The Homecoming, the existence of which I do not deny, but which I am in no hurry to reexpose to the harsh light of the sun." John Darnielle, March 1998

Its amazing to think that that got written a measly 6 years after the releases of HC and HGS and that now, 14 years on (20 from the release of the actual cassettes) they'll finally be rereleased.

I wonder what the exact source is for the reissue? I also wonder (don't laugh at me) how good the sound quality will be.

[kidsteel.bandcamp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 01:13PM by Zopilote Steel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014