Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)

March 12, 2012 08:46PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
nutopia1213
the wording of the legal jargon scared me away from uploading covers onto bandcamp sites that i've done. i don't charge for any of it; it would be cool if i could upload the missing songs from what i've uploaded.. just makes me nervous when nowhere in the FAQ/info does it clearly say, "covers are ok if you're not charging for them". that ideology makes sense, but i didn't want to get any grief without knowing for sure.

It's stupid, but giving away covers is also illegal. Also, at least in America, music venues have to buy a license that allows artists to perform covers.

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.
March 12, 2012 09:24PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
So, how do we do this thing?

justindaley.bandcamp.com
feearsofthemammoth.bandcamp.com
March 13, 2012 12:40AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
The fact is, you have to own the rights to the music that you upload. It has nothing to do with whether you're charging for it. Even though people have posted covers and the site hasn't removed them, it's still a direct violation of the terms of service, meaning they could be pulled at any time if they decided to enforce the rules more strictly.
March 13, 2012 08:49AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I'm with lincolnic on this one--especially as he cited legal from Bandcamp and all other evidence is anecdotal. I think we play it safe and go with the traditional route of setting up a website. Sorry that route will involve more work from people, but it's better than having to deal with our fun & games becoming cease & desist.
March 13, 2012 08:57AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I apologize for my post, then! I am wrong; BC is not the way to go. Nigel'll knock the website out of the park, for sure, even if it's a lot of extra work. He's great.

(Every time I type "BC" I think of Bill Callahan for some reason...)

[www.last.fm]
March 13, 2012 10:09AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I mean.. uhhh.. with that in mind you should never upload covers to youtube btw, or never share covers in general.

Right?

and I'm not sure that any royalty checks are going to Billie Holiday and Steely Dan when copies of Sweden were sold.*

*i'm not sure how wrong I am about this.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 10:13AM by Mr Glass.
March 13, 2012 10:17AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
John Darnielle isn't James Hetfield is what I'm saying. I'd wager to say the folks behind Emperor Jones and Yo-Yo are similar in nature.

1840 - Hounds in Sonora, Mexico, invent music, write bogus "History of Music" to preserve anonymity.

Laughin Out Loud
March 13, 2012 03:16PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Mr Glass
John Darnielle isn't James Hetfield is what I'm saying.

ClipOfJonWursterFromBestShowSayingWhaaaaaat.mp3
March 13, 2012 04:56PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
shlack
Mr Glass
John Darnielle isn't James Hetfield is what I'm saying.

ClipOfJonWursterFromBestShowSayingWhaaaaaat.mp3

I love you forever for this response, man.

[www.last.fm]
March 21, 2012 05:00PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Hey yall, hope everyone's songs are coming together well!

In RE: the name issue, I was listening to AHWT recently and was really struck by a specific line in "Riches and Wonders." I ran it by Nigel and Nutopia and they approved so I thought I'd see what you all think. The line in question is:

"We are guardians of a rare thing"

Which I thought was pretty perfect on multiple levels, in as much as we're doing this in support of the space and creatures of FS as well as trying to present tMG's music to others in a good light. Do you like that? If not, any other suggestions (we'd like to brand the thing pretty soon so Nigel can get to work on the site)?

If you do like it, is it better as-is or what if we dropped the first two words? Other permutations? Feel free to post what you think. Thanks!

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
March 21, 2012 05:21PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
What was the deadline again?

Why's everyone in this thread a f***ing Mountain Goats fan?!

Kirkeby KritikkKvitter
March 21, 2012 06:03PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
SaveMeASeat
"We are guardians of a rare thing"

I like!

justindaley.bandcamp.com
feearsofthemammoth.bandcamp.com
March 22, 2012 08:44AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I can't say I like it.

I think it should be more all encompassing. Taking a lyric from one song makes some suggestions that just wouldn't be there if we didn't.

There's absolutely enough material to form something memorable from what John has said or written on or about West Texas, and we don't want DITS people to feel like they're detached.

Laughin Out Loud
March 22, 2012 10:19AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
you could do a play on West Texas Orphans, and call it like West Texas Stepkids or something like that. but i'm not doing a song, so this is just a suggestion from afar.

edit: or Orphaned in West Texas.

or The Mobius Strippers.

ok. good bye.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 10:27AM by Wild Creature.
March 22, 2012 10:32AM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Wild Creature
The Mobius Strippers.

Dibs on that band name.
March 22, 2012 02:34PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I understand what you're saying, Mr Glass, but, then again, "If we never get there at all" is just a line from Shadow Song, and it seemed to work well for our last comp.

I'm open to any and all ideas, of course, but we'll need some serious suggestions. Conversation has been very quiet around here lately.

do I have to hit you over the head with it?
nigelewan.com · last.fm
March 22, 2012 02:49PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Shadow Song was not on the forum comp, and only GtG was on No Safety. Now like if you found something relatable in a song that's not on the albums, then sure, but I'm just inherently opposed and would be more so if I were singing the titular line in my cover.

Hopefully the conversation's quiet because people are working on their songs!

Going to Lubbock and It's All Here in Brownsville both take place in Texas.

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 02:59PM by Mr Glass.
March 22, 2012 03:07PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I had registered "Ugly Things in the Darkness" because it's a line from In the Craters on the Moon and I thought it would fit great with the halloween themed polka songs I was creating at the time but nothing ever came of those so I offered it up to nigel to host the covers.

Is "Hi, We're not the Mountain Goats" too long of a title? I know we were all using that before...

March 22, 2012 03:29PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I'm retooling uglythingsinthedarkness.com so it'll host all the previous cover projects, including No Safety. I figured that would be a good use of the domain instead of just having the newest thing there. I see that domain as a great overarching container for all the comps.

ETA: thanks again, Bill, for letting us use that domain name and for continuing to do so! It is a great asset!

I think it's a good idea to have a unique name for each album. It would be weird to re-use "Hi, we're not the Mountain Goats" since right now it's kinda just used for comp no. 2.

I like "It's All Here in Brownsville". Maybe we could come up with some puns based on that sort of thing?

Good thoughts! I just sent off my cover to Chris. Excited to hear all these things! really!

nigelewan.com · last.fm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 03:30PM by nigel.
March 22, 2012 03:42PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I don't really get why a song on it as opposed to a song not on it makes a lot of difference, to be honest, if you'd like to explain that more I'll happily listen (or, well, read).

I mean, we're being pretty inclusive of the other songs and those DITS by including them. Does anyone else also see some kind of value judgment in the proposed idea that I'm not getting? I don't see what's being "suggested" I guess. Other than the line itself (talking about a rare thing, and implying that we think the songs in question and the music being covered on the comp is a rare and special thing, which I assume we'd all agree it is because we're all fans).

dollabill
Is "Hi, We're not the Mountain Goats" too long of a title? I know we were all using that before...

That was the name of the comp prior to If We Never Get There... (i.e. it's been used) - just has become a bit of a shorthand for the whole idea of these forum covers projects.

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...
March 22, 2012 04:05PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Usually titular lines are used to highlight a pretty notable song or performer of the song. I just don't think anybody is trying to imply any sort of favoritism and even though that's the case implications of the contrary will still be there.

but yeah. Just my opinions on it.

I'll throw out that I still like
There are No Buildings or Doors and the Walls are on Fire

and a new one to the mix

The Devil In West Texas

Laughin Out Loud
March 22, 2012 04:27PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
Mr Glass
There are No Buildings or Doors and the Walls are on Fire
The Devil In West Texas

I really like that first one. I see no problem in using the line from "Riches and Wonders", however, but I REALLY like "There are...".

What about "West Texas Shortwave"? >_>

[www.last.fm]
March 22, 2012 04:29PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I'm not the end all be all, majority's gonna rule in this situation. I'm just stating how I feel on the matter. It's the content that comes first and foremost, and so long as that's nice and complete I'll be smilin'.

let's do a march madness voting bracket

Laughin Out Loud

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 04:32PM by Mr Glass.
March 22, 2012 04:43PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
I'm not opposed to the suggested title, though I understand Mr. Glass' objection.

I do like the idea of using something from the AHWT liners notes, which are the second greatest liner notes ever. (Though it should be "There are no windows or door and the walls are on fire" )

As for "The Devil in West Texas" or "West Texas Shortwave" I think they work, too. I kind of like the latter.

Here are some bad ideas:
The Devil Went Down to Texas
The Worst Ever Cover Band in Texas
The Texas Cover Song Massacre
(I'm having trouble filling in "All My ___ Live in Texas" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 04:44PM by dtrom4.
March 22, 2012 04:50PM | Re: HEY, JOHN WON'T READ THIS THREAD thumbs down (forum covers project)
l know Chris (nutopia1213) liked "There are no windows…". My only concern with that one is that it's kinda long! but I'm sure we could make it work if most people seem to like it.

I also like "Stay wherever the hell you are". (viz.)

Not crazy about permutations of "All Hail West Texas"—they seem somewhat uninspired!

nigelewan.com · last.fm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 45 on October 20, 2014