Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Essays on the Mountain Goats

August 19, 2011 04:32PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
btw, Satanic Messiah was a GREAT pick. And a very nice read too, congratulations.

Are you keen for the whole album/EP to be talked about thematically, or do you think it would work better having a few tracks focussed on more specifically? Or is it just up to each contributor? Obviously it's your blog, WC, so if you're wanting an eventual note on every tMG track on an album or EP, that's totally your call.
August 19, 2011 04:35PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I was told to come here and sign up for essays and thus I am doing so.

I'm not particularly adept at dissecting albums, but I can do...something; albeit it a relatively emotional something laced with personal poignancy, subjectivity, and expressions of how I see the music reflected in the world around me. If that's what you're looking for, I can give All Eternals Deck a go, and maybe a mini-essay on the Chilean Fire Barrel song.

I have the sneaking suspicion I'm going to wind up embarrassing myself.
August 19, 2011 06:02PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
iatethelotus
btw, Satanic Messiah was a GREAT pick. And a very nice read too, congratulations.

Are you keen for the whole album/EP to be talked about thematically, or do you think it would work better having a few tracks focussed on more specifically? Or is it just up to each contributor? Obviously it's your blog, WC, so if you're wanting an eventual note on every tMG track on an album or EP, that's totally your call.

whatever you think is appropriate, is fine with me. i think either would be interesting, and it's really up to each contributor to do what they think is right. I think the only thing I would be reluctant to put up is some sort of fan fiction that entails the author holding hands with JD and listening to the album on a cloud. actually, now that i write it out, i might put that one up.

anyways, pretty much no boundaries other than 500 words, though I may make editing suggestions, etc., if that's okay, and i reserve rights to not put something up i don't think is appropriate, and everyone still owns the rights to their respective essays.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
August 19, 2011 06:05PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Scelerata

I'm not particularly adept at dissecting albums, but I can do...something; albeit it a relatively emotional something laced with personal poignancy, subjectivity, and expressions of how I see the music reflected in the world around me. If that's what you're looking for, I can give All Eternals Deck a go, and maybe a mini-essay on the Chilean Fire Barrel song.

write what you want, just make it more than 500 words. you can do AED if you're set on it, but someone's already working on one, and i'd like to minimize double essays if possible (though no prohibition against it) so if you want to do Chilean Fire Barrel song first, that might be cool. If it's a little under 500 words because its a song not an album, that's ok, but try to get close if you can.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
August 19, 2011 06:06PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I'd like to call Hot Garden Stomp, if I may.
August 19, 2011 06:08PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
shlack
I'd like to call Hot Garden Stomp, if I may.

awesome. done.

August 19, 2011 06:14PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
My AED essay should be finished by tomorrow evening, so I'll send it in soon.

My music:
[www.facebook.com]
[jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com]
August 19, 2011 07:09PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Wild Creature
Scelerata

write what you want, just make it more than 500 words. you can do AED if you're set on it, but someone's already working on one, and i'd like to minimize double essays if possible (though no prohibition against it) so if you want to do Chilean Fire Barrel song first, that might be cool. If it's a little under 500 words because its a song not an album, that's ok, but try to get close if you can.

AED, Heretic Pride, and TLOTWTC are the only full albums I own, so that limits me a bit in doing a full-album essay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 07:09PM by Scelerata.
August 19, 2011 09:20PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Great idea. I'll put together something in the next few days...

mkslider -- Black Pear Tree EP
August 19, 2011 10:07PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Scelerata
AED, Heretic Pride, and TLOTWTC are the only full albums I own, so that limits me a bit in doing a full-album essay.

hey, if you want to do AED go for it, i'll just make sure to space the 2 out so they are not right next to each other.

August 19, 2011 10:08PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
mkslider

mkslider -- Black Pear Tree EP

ok, added.

August 20, 2011 01:14AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Wild Creature
Scelerata

hey, if you want to do AED go for it, I'll just make sure to space the 2 out so they are not right next to each other.

No worries on that, I'm sure. I suspect the other AED essay will be done quite a ways before mine anyway being that I start class next week and'll only be able to work on these in my downtime. It's a fun-sounding endeavor, though, I'm glad to be allowed to participate in it.
August 20, 2011 02:41AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I can think of two editors and a department head who would kill me if they read this, but I'll try for an essay on WSABH.
August 20, 2011 02:30PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I'm going to try my hand at Heretic Pride.

You never forget your first...
August 20, 2011 02:55PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
AKMA
I can think of two editors and a department head who would kill me if they read this, but I'll try for an essay on WSABH.

AKMA, that would be awesome. if you can give me an idea of when you think you could do it, i'd like to put it up at the same time fever does his. while i would not typically like to have 2 essays on the same album right next to each other, i think the juxtaposition of the two of your different points of view would be fascinating.

August 21, 2011 06:23AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Hey AKMA: last year when you sent me a copy of What These Cryptic Symbols Mean, you said you'd be interested in what my BTheol girlfriend thought of it. She's out of uni at the moment and desperately looking for something to stretch her brain, and she asked me the other day whether you still wanted feedback. I said it had probably been published by now and that you were probably done with it, but since you've just popped up in a thread about tMG essays, I thought I'd ask anyway!
August 21, 2011 06:47AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
This is very cool of you, Wild Creature...

[pbs.twimg.com]
August 21, 2011 02:03PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
B Z Thompson - "The Monkey Song". Should be done tomorrow.
August 21, 2011 03:32PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Ok, below is the list as I have it right now. If I missed someone or got something wrong, let me know. It seems like such an awesome mix of essays, I really hope everyone submits. “The Monkey Song”! I can’t wait. I figured I would just sum up the basics as follows, which I may supplement as needed.

a. 500+ words is the general rule

b. Please send all submissions to submissions at sadyoungcardinals dot com, as this will prevent them from getting lost in my personal e-mails.

c. On that note, you can now get to the blog by just going to sadyoungcardinals dot com.

d. I will be posting them as I get them, so the order you see below is not likely the order they will be posted.

e. By submitting your essay, you are giving me the right to publish it on sadyoungcardinals.com, without any pay or other compensation. In return, I promise not to advertise on the site, or to disclose, sell or otherwise exploit your e-mail address.

f. Other than what is in (e), you retain all rights in your essay, including the right to re-publish as you see fit. It would be nice if you put in an attribution as to where you first got it published, but no hard and fast rule.

g. I’ll put pretty much everything up that you all send me, but I reserve the right to not put something up if I think it’s not appropriate.

h. I may make some editorial suggestions to you, or I may not, before I put an essay up, but you’ll have final say in your essay.

i. When you submit, it may be best under your name and not your forum handle, as this will likely be read by at least some non-forum people. If you want to use a pen name (I do) that’s cool, too.

j. Also, if you send me a 2 or 3 short sentence bio, I will include it after your essay. Short, short, short. I reserve the right to shorten further. If you want to include a web-site, twitter acc’t or something where you can be contacted, that’s ok if you want, but by no means required.

k. There are a few people doing doubles and I think that’s great. But there are still some awesome ones out there that haven’t been taken, i.e. ZM, NFJ, MCB, and a bunch of tapes and other styff. And of course there’s always the option of getting creative and doing an essay on the “Alpha Series” or the “Going To” series, or “An Essay on JD’s Stage Banter.” Hopefully, we get a bunch of interesting submissions.

l. That’s it. Go write!

-- Current list of submissions --

1. P. William Grimm -- Satanic Messiah

2. N. Turcotte - Isopanisad Radio Hour

3. Jamison Murphy - All Eternals Deck

4. starlingtattoo - transjordanian blues

5. susan and her notebook - Tallahassee

6. Carolina Cordero - The Sunset Tree

7. J. Brindle - the Life of the World to Come

8. Matt Puppington - AHWTX

9. Clementine - Full Force Galesburg

10. El Nombre - New Asian Cinema

11. JOTS - Sweden

12. SWV - the Life of the World to Come

13. Fever - Get Lonely

14. Fever - We Shall All Be Healed

15. AKMA – We Shall All Be Healed

16. Killebrew – Heretic Pride

17. Lotus – The Coroner’s Gambit

18. Scelerata – All Eternals Deck (?)

19. Shlack – Hot Garden Stomp

20. Mkslider – Black Pear Tree

21. Mithel – Heretic Pride

22. BZ Thompson – “The Monkey Song”

August 22, 2011 04:30AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Give me through next weekend as I have two other album reveiws that were due last week. These are going to be intensely personal essays in a manner I wouldn't normally be comfortable doing.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[sordidalley.blogspot.com]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
August 22, 2011 09:59AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
What is "Sarcofago Sea"?

Great first submissions, by the way. Very interesting piece laying out the context for Satanic Messiah.
August 22, 2011 10:18AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I was thinking of doing a couple of these when I realized it could become one cool reflection on links between the two, I'll get back to you if anything readable actually comes of it.

ETA: Well, cool in that the idea is cool, the execution...we'll find out

We are the ones who don't slow down at all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 11:20AM by SaveMeASeat.
August 22, 2011 11:13AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I was 625 words into "The Monkey Song" when I noticed in one of the live boots I was listening to John definitely says "all pale" in the second verse instead of the usually denoted "all hail", and I went back to the "proper recording" and am pretty sure the word there is "pale" as well, which makes more sense lyrically but disrupts one of my arguments as well as a decade of listening to the song.
August 22, 2011 12:03PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I've always heard "pale".
August 22, 2011 12:09PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
dtrom4
What is "Sarcofago Sea"?

Great first submissions, by the way. Very interesting piece laying out the context for Satanic Messiah.

sorry, since this ep came out i refer in my head to Sarcofago Live as Sargasso Live, as in Sargasso Sea, and this was just a brain fart. Thanks for catching it. Fixed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Users: 8 on June 12, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 113 on May 17, 2014