Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Essays on the Mountain Goats

August 22, 2011 12:10PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
fever
Give me through next weekend as I have two other album reveiws that were due last week. These are going to be intensely personal essays in a manner I wouldn't normally be comfortable doing.

take your time. lookg forward to it.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
August 22, 2011 12:12PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
SaveMeASeat
I was thinking of doing a couple of these when I realized it could become one cool reflection on links between the two, I'll get back to you if anything readable actually comes of it.

ETA: Well, cool in that the idea is cool, the execution...we'll find out

i hope you submit it. i'm sure it will be something interesting that will give us all something to think about.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
August 22, 2011 05:49PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
New essay posted on www.sadyoungcardinals.com on "The Monkey Song", written by Brian Thompson. Interesting and well-written piece. Please check it out!

And if you like it remember to tag it at the bottom as brilliant, insightful and/or well-written as you see fit.

Thanks again, Brian. Nice work.

August 23, 2011 12:02AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I want to do an essay is there a deadline?

I'd Like to do Zipotle Machine, Pre-9/11 Mountain Goats, or Alpha Series.

Is this a review or analyzation?
I'll assume the latter.

And finally is this Formal or informal?
August 23, 2011 01:01AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
CedarBookmark
I want to do an essay is there a deadline?

I'd Like to do Zipotle Machine, Pre-9/11 Mountain Goats, or Alpha Series.

Is this a review or analyzation?
I'll assume the latter.

And finally is this Formal or informal?

no deadline, but I suppose the answer is fast enough so the project maintains momentum, but slow enough that the essay is solid and reflects what you feel.

All 3 ideas sound awesome. Just pick one and let me know, or if you think you could timely do 2, do 2.

review/analyzation - it is whichever you prefer. both are accepted.

It is inForMal. In all seriousness, I would think that the essays should be in paragraph/sentence format, with generally proper capitalization, grammar, etc. If you want to stray from the generals for stylistic or aesthetic purposes, that could be cool, but generally, paragraphs, sentences, grammar -- all pluses. does that answer the question?

August 23, 2011 04:23PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
and Duende, I'm hoping you contribute!

August 23, 2011 06:53PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Sorry about my previous estimate for when I'd finish this. It will probably take me until the weekend.

My music:
[www.facebook.com]
[jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 06:54PM by Jamison.
August 23, 2011 11:05PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Jamison
Sorry about my previous estimate for when I'd finish this. It will probably take me until the weekend.

looking forward to it. i'm sure you're putting your heart into it.

August 24, 2011 05:39AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Damn, I recently started translating my review (which I still have into turn to a proper essay anyway) and realized how uninformed and naive I was about tMG when I wrote it. So there's work to be done, I hope I'll finish the translation/revision somewhere soon. Or am I too late anyway?

Cheers, Doc
August 24, 2011 10:53AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Doc Sanchez
Or am I too late anyway?

not too late at all, no real timetable. would like to get a few up soon to just keep momentum up, but you are definitely not too late.

August 24, 2011 04:06PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
to be honest, if they all went up at once i'd find it, as a reader, quite overwhelming. This trickle down approach is a pleasant way to digest the essays.

let's get dressed up in costumes and dance by the bar.
August 24, 2011 04:20PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
you aren't supposed to eat them beta

August 24, 2011 05:31PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
pfft.

my essay is just gonna be a recipe book.

August 24, 2011 07:32PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
great new essay up by SWV. Thanks, Josh. [sadyoungcardinals.blogspot.com]

(though this one may change a bit, as i made a couple of slight revisions i am awaiting SWV's ok on, but it was such a good essay i couldn't hold off putting it up).

oh, also, if you like the essay, check one or more of the Reactions boxes - brilliant, insightful and/or well-written.

Also, think about adding yourself as a follower if you like these essays. I don't quite know the benefit of it, but i think it looks col.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 07:34PM by Wild Creature.
August 25, 2011 10:04PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
I've been busy and I moved in the past week, but I'm hoping to start mine soon. I'll let you know. Tallahassee would be much easier to write about, as it's my favorite album and the city I live in, but it's been covered, so I'll just do ... AHWT, right?

Mercy for the Diaz Brothers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 10:05PM by Alpha Puppington.
August 25, 2011 11:20PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Alpha Puppington
I've been busy and I moved in the past week, but I'm hoping to start mine soon. I'll let you know. Tallahassee would be much easier to write about, as it's my favorite album and the city I live in, but it's been covered, so I'll just do ... AHWT, right?

AP, if you feel more comfortable doing Tallahassee, then i say do it. We are going to have some double-ups for sure, so I don't see the harm. if you have the time, go for both Tallahassee and AHWT! Let's see what you have to say.

By the way, new essay up. Thanks Fever. This one really got to me. www.sadyoungcardinals.com

August 26, 2011 03:16AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
good essays. very personal, fever, and it works well.

(@WC: Para 9, fever's essay is missing a 'be' i think. "It could be a continuation of the previous song" )

?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 03:17AM by betamax.
August 26, 2011 11:56PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
@WC, I dunno, if you already have fever's you probably ought to go ahead. Some unwelcome stress caught up with me this week, and productivity is off the table for now, unless it happens unexpectedly.

@IATL, the fact that it's in print now doesn't mean people should stop thinking about it. If your gf has stuff to say, by all means she should speak right up.
August 27, 2011 04:30AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
It might seem a little over-ambitious to submit an essay on my first ever mountain goats forum post. I have a lousy habit of religiously following cyber threads without ever bothering to create a username and adding what passes in my mind as an original thought.

I was hoping I would be able to submit something slightly different then the wonderful reads on the blog. Perhaps a review of JD's recent performance at Plan-it-x fest (in addition to actually being there I recent snagged a copy of the set in its entirety).

It would probably be redundant to discuss each of the 27 songs he played, as I'm sure most of them will be eventually analyzed by contributors much more capable than myself. One of the best things about the set was John's interactions with the folk/punk pocket. His onstage banter (humorous insight is probably more accurate), unexpected summoning of some lesser known acts, and final sing along stage dive were pretty spectacular.

I could definitely see why this topic could seem pretty irrelevant and unnecessary but I think it could turn out pretty cool.

Lemme know what you think

I don't want to squander the thought trying to come up with a better way to say what I want to say
August 27, 2011 11:10AM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
AKMA - i went ahead and posted fever's contribution, so when you get yours done i can just reference it. i hope you have a burst of sudden writing impulse soon!

Mostobscure -- welcome to the forums. i think an essay on your experience at Plan-it-X would be interesting and a good contribution to the project. none of the essays so far have been straightforward reviews, so your take on the show should fit in well. Looking forward it.

August 28, 2011 04:46PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Just received and posted AKMA's outstanding piece on We Shall All Be Healed. Very different than anything else that we have put up on Sad Young Cardinals to date, and it is a really wonderful, mind-engaging piece. Really shows there are so many different ways to go about this project, with great results. Thanks AKMA!

Check it out here at sad young cardinals.

August 28, 2011 09:30PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Writing about Get Lonely might fucking kill me.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[sordidalley.blogspot.com]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
August 28, 2011 09:36PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
Lame "if it kills me" joke response
August 28, 2011 09:38PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
It's the nature of art. I've always thought that if booze doesn't kill me, art will.

We belong dead.
[www.last.fm]
[sordidalley.blogspot.com]
[popwreckoning.com]
[blog.kexp.org]
August 28, 2011 11:03PM | Re: Essays on the Mountain Goats
hey, new essay up on SYC, by Shlack on Hot Garden Stomp. Thanks again Shlack. More to come soon. . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014