Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Belgium

April 25, 2011 10:32AM | Belgium
So I was listening to WSABH the other day, and I wondered if there is a particular reason why he chose Belgium. I mean, it's a metaphor, he could've used any country, why that one?
April 25, 2011 10:45AM | Re: Belgium

Despite being one of the smallest nations in the European Union, Belgium ranks as the 8th biggest exporter in the world.

that's a lotta belgian things.

don't clap between movements
April 25, 2011 11:36AM | Re: Belgium
Because the album is approximately ten times more wonderful if you imagine it is populated by a bunch of people hanging out in a Waffle House, driven by a crushing addiction to waffles.

It's just a noise. A noise you hear. When everything is awesome
April 25, 2011 01:08PM | Re: Belgium
Did anybody notice that the word Belgium is very close to the phrase "Belch. Yum." So, it is possible that JD is referring to a very good meal. Thoughts?

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
April 25, 2011 01:24PM | Re: Belgium
that makes NO sense wild creature.

April 25, 2011 01:38PM | Re: Belgium
mike5998
that makes NO sense wild creature.

[www.last.fm]
April 25, 2011 02:04PM | Re: Belgium
BELGIUM RULES, HATERS.

i just sit here in my cave and absorb your facts and figures.
April 25, 2011 02:09PM | Re: Belgium
blackliner
BELGIUM RULES, HATERS.

nobody said we had to follow the belgium rules. now i have to stand on one foot every time i post in this thread? not likely i'll be posting more than 4 or 5 times a day then.

The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that he is most alive when alone. - Martin Amis
April 25, 2011 02:17PM | Re: Belgium
April 25, 2011 04:22PM | Re: Belgium
anything refering to belguim on WSABH is actually refering to meth making.
sink your teeth into that.
April 25, 2011 04:43PM | Re: Belgium
how to make a belgian meth waffle

1 kilogram flour (2.2 lb)
30 grams of vagina yeast (fast-action yeast)
25 grams of brown sugar
1250 ml of lukewarm urine (use tepid horse urine if possible)
250 grams powdered nonfat dry milk (from a cat or similar)
10 grams of cocaine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or one small packet vanilla sugar (about 2 teaspooons)
400 to 500 grams of melted jizz
6 to 8 egg whites, beaten (off) to stiff peaks
8 lbs methamphetamine methylamphetamine

top with orange triaminic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 04:45PM by mike5998.
April 25, 2011 04:49PM | Re: Belgium
mike5998
how to make a belgian meth waffle

1 kilogram flour (2.2 lb)
30 grams of vagina yeast (fast-action yeast)
25 grams of brown sugar
1250 ml of lukewarm urine (use tepid horse urine if possible)
250 grams powdered nonfat dry milk (from a cat or similar)
10 grams of cocaine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or one small packet vanilla sugar (about 2 teaspooons)
400 to 500 grams of melted jizz
8 lbs methamphetamine methylamphetamine

top with orange triaminic.

Can anyone confirm? Is this legit?
April 25, 2011 04:53PM | Re: Belgium

April 25, 2011 05:30PM | Re: Belgium
mike5998
do you not need the egg yolks as well, or a meringue?
April 25, 2011 05:31PM | Re: Belgium
jacobfiala
This makes a good deal of sense. "Letter From Belgium" would then be "Letter From a Meth Lab" and "Your Belgian Things" would be "The Shit You Made Meth With." Less euphonious, sure, but this works with my interpretation of the album. Thanks, jacobfiala.

My music:
[www.facebook.com]
[jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com]
April 25, 2011 07:32PM | Re: Belgium
Jamison
jacobfiala
This makes a good deal of sense. "Letter From Belgium" would then be "Letter From a Meth Lab" and "Your Belgian Things" would be "The Shit You Made Meth With." Less euphonious, sure, but this works with my interpretation of the album. Thanks, jacobfiala.
happy to help, also, mike, thank you for the recipe. those waffles are delicious.
April 25, 2011 08:09PM | Re: Belgium
Jamison
jacobfiala

Damn, that's good listening skills! Makes a lot more sense now that I think about it. Like the time I found out that in Mole, JD is the one in intensive care. WSABH has been one of my most loved album by tMG and only now am I starting to understand it more and more. I guess I should consider myself lucky, right?

April 25, 2011 08:23PM | Re: Belgium
Personally I find it to be a landmark album...

Which should surprise no one.
April 25, 2011 08:35PM | Re: Belgium
dollabill
Jamison
jacobfiala

Damn, that's good listening skills! Makes a lot more sense now that I think about it. Like the time I found out that in Mole, JD is the one in intensive care. WSABH has been one of my most loved album by tMG and only now am I starting to understand it more and more. I guess I should consider myself lucky, right?
right
April 25, 2011 10:21PM | Re: Belgium
This is my take on things:

In WSABH, Belgium and Quito are both metaphors for places. (Much like the places in the Going To songs, they function better as ideas of places than actual, representative places.) Quito is a sort of nirvana, a freedom from all of the shit that the characters are stuck in currently, an entirely different place. Belgium is where they are now. I don't know if it's a straight up "meth = Belgium" connection (probably more figurative), but the concept is spot on. Belgium is a place where things are trapped, all wrapped up in drugs and personal struggle. They dream of getting out of there but they can't.

As to why Belgium and Quito were chosen as these places, I don't know. There's probably not a specific reason for it. (Either that, or there totally is and we will never know.)
April 25, 2011 10:32PM | Re: Belgium
I think Schlack nailed it.
April 25, 2011 11:23PM | Re: Belgium
i'm sticking with "Belch. Yum." Good meal.

April 26, 2011 08:31AM | Re: Belgium
Yes I was already aware that it is a metaphor for meth addiction, see my OP - just wondering why use that particular country (instead of, I don't know, Denmark).
April 26, 2011 09:08AM | Re: Belgium
cf. Minnesota,
That seed packet came from Holland, next door to Belgium, and one character starts singing songs in Dutch, which is the same as Flemish, which they (most of them anyway) speak in Belgium.
Utrecht isn't far off either.
Once we've figured the significance of this out, could someone explain the weird pronunciation of "compost" in Black Pear Tree? Don't blame KK as JD sings it that way too.
April 26, 2011 10:05AM | Re: Belgium
That's how "compost" is pronounced. How do you pronounce it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014