Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyrical 'Mishears'

Posted by _PumpkinPie 
Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
February 19, 2015 10:52AM
I like that you imagine he was thinking about precise specific things that are part of your story when writing the song. It is the next level in evolution from people feeling like songs were written "for them". I'm going to start ultrapersonalizing things too.
February 20, 2015 08:54AM
This wouldn't be a lyrical mishear, but more of my brains inability to remember the correct lyrics...I am literally unable to say Bruised earth in Belgian Things, it is 100% always going to be scorched earth. I don't know why, but there is some block in my brain that won't go away.
March 19, 2015 10:30PM
This is also not a mishear, but I get a mental image of two bulldogs from Colarado drinking when I hear the first line of 'New Chevrolet In Flames'. And I love it.
March 19, 2015 10:53PM
[quote=robertjohnson]
"in my Spiraling notebook".[/quote]

it took me quite a while to realize that wasn't what he was saying though it would have been a great play on words
March 19, 2015 10:56PM
[quote=skcup]
I still swear he says "when you made your special lunch for my throat" in Resonanr Bell World[/quote]

THIS
March 19, 2015 11:09PM
Also until I heard "Lion's Teeth" live, i couldn't really understand the line "his paw hits the horn", I thought it was "this part's the fun".
March 22, 2015 01:07PM
[quote=DFTBA]
I misheard, I am a babbling brook, as, I am a rabbiting frog.
I was very confused for a very long time.[/quote]

A reasonably large number of people have heard "battling frog" according to my research.

------------------------------------------------------------
This Singnature is Final:
At the end of this sentence, before the period, will come the word rutabaga.
March 22, 2015 05:02PM
[quote=simonfox]
[quote=DFTBA]
I misheard, I am a babbling brook, as, I am a rabbiting frog.
I was very confused for a very long time.[/quote]

A reasonably large number of people have heard "battling frog" according to my research.[/quote]

some of these "mishears" just baffle me because there are like 2 for me hahaha they're hilarious tho
zxc
March 22, 2015 05:17PM
[quote=_PumpkinPie]
Not wacky is fine too!

When I first heard Autoclave, I thought the chorus was "My heart's an ark", since the word autoclave almost fades away into the instruments.

EDIT: That was, of course, without knowing the title yet.[/quote]

it's actually my FART'S an autoclave you fool ::o
April 08, 2015 03:30PM
Stand with a bullwhip in my hand and rise....rise....surrounded by feds.

I assume this is because of the lyrical tendency of my own to make things kinda police oriented...but I was just walking down the hall at work and sang the "Surrounded by feds" line and stopped...."This is not a copstabber song, motherfucker. Get it together."
May 14, 2015 02:06PM
I think it is a little bit vulgar of John in Mosquito Repellant when he says "Sweeping out the shart" I mean, that's fine for a band like mine, but you are a noted author....let's try to keep it above the belt with the potty humor, Mr Darnielle.
May 14, 2015 02:32PM
I just noticed I had a similar weird posting persona in both of the last two posts. Neither of those dudes sound like me, yo.
May 14, 2015 02:42PM
you've been co-opted
May 14, 2015 02:44PM
MOTHERFUCKING WHITE DEVILS! GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!
May 14, 2015 02:45PM
we all know you're really bethany, dave
May 14, 2015 02:48PM
How did that happen?
May 14, 2015 02:51PM
you were both co-opted

i saw the matrix

i know what's going on
May 14, 2015 02:53PM
Go mishear some lyrics about that.
May 14, 2015 03:10PM
ok

wait

NO
May 14, 2015 03:38PM
i like in going to montana

when he says

there will be no more foam animals
May 22, 2015 10:26AM
I first picturd animals made out of foam rubber, like the foam fingers that people buy at sporting events...then I started thinking of the animals being made out of foam like sea foam or maybe more like hair mousse. Then I started thinking of Mooses made out of hair mousse and how awkwardly and deliberately they would move. Then I just said fuck it. HONK.
July 01, 2015 09:09AM
BUT IN THE LONG TRESSES OF YOUR HAIR....I AM A BABBLING ___________________________?

All the lyrics sites say Brook. Somebody here said Frog. Other people have heard Crook. Do any of you people have other words you have heard in this spot? I have heard the word "Drunk" literally every single time and I will continue to sing it that way forever. I don't believe the lyrics sites at all. I am positive that John says that he is a babbling drunk and not even he can tell me otherwise...I mean what does he know? He's a babbling drunk.
July 01, 2015 09:30AM
well, since "babbling brook" is a (relatively) common phrase, and the image of flowing water (along with "babbling brook" 's connotation with spring) stands in contrast to the freezing mentioned earlier in the line, I though it was pretty obvious (despite the drawn out pronunciation).

I will say though, Dave, that "babbling drunk" makes a hell of a lot more sense than "babbling frog".

And hey, you got to make the cover your own. So sing it any damn way you please.
July 01, 2015 09:36AM
I remember going into the lab to record the song and pulling up the lyrics for the first time to make sure I had the right number of feet for the newspapers and make sure that my pluralizations were correct. There was no doubt in my mind that I had any words wrong, I was just doing a quick final check to make sure I didn't sound like an idiot. Then I was like "LOLOLOL! Well I can't trust this bullshit site, it says babbling brook! How stupid is that, these people are not reliable." Then the next one and the next one. I felt like a real goon, but I don't care. I felt kinda goonie before that anyway, nahmean?
July 01, 2015 06:10PM
Don't they all just swipe the lyrics from tmg.net anyway?

Dave Homeowner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> these people are not
> reliable." Then the next one and the next one.

[Edited for clarity.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 08:46PM by Johnp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login