Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyrical 'Mishears'

Posted by _PumpkinPie 
Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
September 28, 2013 10:01PM
Lately, I've been imagining "my own eyes" from Going to Utrecht as a mispronounciation of mayonnaise ("with my-oh-naise!" ) and now I can't stop thinking of that when I hear the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 10:01PM by Nic33rd.
September 29, 2013 04:17AM
[quote=Nic33rd]
Lately, I've been imagining "my own eyes" from Going to Utrecht as a mispronounciation of mayonnaise ("with my-oh-naise!" ) and now I can't stop thinking of that when I hear the song.[/quote]

http://www.mountain-goats.com/forums/read.php?2,15599,15824#msg-15824

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 04:18AM by Johnp.
October 01, 2013 01:28PM
YES
October 01, 2013 10:03PM
I thought all that was long scone.

midgoat
October 02, 2013 01:56PM
i think there's a spider eating my ear drum.
October 04, 2013 02:11AM
I heard the last lines from dogs of clinic 17 as

"there's a virus in us, eating its way through me"

as

"there's a light in us eating its way through ,e"

light vs virus, big deal
October 02, 2014 04:33PM
I let the Citronella dissolve in my hand.
(I lit the Citronella, it was all that I had.)

The former is way more prevalent in searches.
October 02, 2014 07:13PM
For the longest time I thought "I've Got The Sex" was called "I've Got This Ex."
October 02, 2014 07:37PM
[quote=Johnp]
[quote=Nic33rd]
Lately, I've been imagining "my own eyes" from Going to Utrecht as a mispronounciation of mayonnaise ("with my-oh-naise!" ) and now I can't stop thinking of that when I hear the song.[/quote]

http://www.mountain-goats.com/forums/read.php?2,15599,15824#msg-15824[/quote]

Tears. Legit tears from reading this thread. Johnp you're welcome at my place for a sammich ANY TIME.
October 02, 2014 08:08PM
[quote=Johnp]
I let the Citronella dissolve in my hand.
(I lit the Citronella, it was all that I had.)

The former is way more prevalent in searches.[/quote]

My God, you're right. Thanks for correcting me, I too had erroneously heard this (as did Nall!).

--
This song is for the rats: The Annotated Mountain Goats
http://annotatedtmg.org
October 22, 2014 05:14PM
And along the highway where the empty spirits breed.

This made sense because we have a stretch of forested highway near where I live where junkies go to fix and make out.
October 23, 2014 06:54AM
Wait, that's not the line?
October 23, 2014 05:33PM
I've seen "breathe" and "breathed" but not "breed" in more official lyrical transcriptions than my addled brain if I am recalling correctly.
October 24, 2014 08:51AM
Oh wow. I always heard breed and thought it was just one of his quirky turn of phrases. The first image I had was of discarded spirit bottles accumulating on the side of the highway. Like, I will sometimes be walking along a road and see some sort of discarded liquor bottle and think who threw it? What were they doing? Where were they going? There's sections of highways that never get cleaned, so they just slowly fill up with empty bottles and other rubbish, as if it comes from no where. That's the first image I got and it kinda stuck, and I never looked at it too hard because it is surrounded by other awesome lines.
October 26, 2014 07:56PM
It's easier to hear it's 'breed' on live versions but if that's not good enough [url=https://mobile.twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/267968927873773568]then... [url]

midgoat
October 27, 2014 06:48PM
For the longest time I though "hope someone will come to right my balance" in Sudden Oak Death was "hope someone will come to write my ballad". Not sure which one I prefer.
November 01, 2014 01:17AM
[quote=StatusFrustratio]
It's easier to hear it's 'breed' on live versions but if that's not good enough [url=https://mobile.twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/267968927873773568]then... [url][/quote]

Oh awesome, thanks for that.
November 01, 2014 01:19AM
Here's one where I prefer my version:

the waves repeating against the shore. the waves repeating as if they hadn't before.

then later,

hey that's a good way to let the debt dry

(which doesn't make sense but for some reason I like it)
November 01, 2014 08:18PM
I misheard, I am a babbling brook, as, I am a rabbiting frog.
I was very confused for a very long time.
November 02, 2014 03:48AM
"Dull squad's at the drive in, it's 1973"

i.e. I'm at the movies with my boring mates. Never knew Doll Squad.
November 22, 2014 05:13AM
I mishear the lyric "not if I saw it with mayonnaise" as "not if I saw it with my own eyes" all the time.

Thankfully the forum straightened me out.
November 28, 2014 04:33PM
"Look through the air-thin walls"

Until yesterday I thought it was earthen walls.
November 29, 2014 02:01PM
[quote=free]
For the longest time I though "hope someone will come to right my balance" in Sudden Oak Death was "hope someone will come to write my ballad". Not sure which one I prefer.[/quote]

Well, you can mark me down for that one. I thought the ballad thing was really cool. Not strictly a mishear, but in Sail Babylon Springs, I thought John was super clever for making up "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic."

He didn't.
January 15, 2015 04:58PM
[quote=free]
For the longest time I though "hope someone will come to right my balance" in Sudden Oak Death was "hope someone will come to write my ballad". Not sure which one I prefer.[/quote]

Just came here to say this. I know it's probably not what he's saying, but I totally prefer the ballad one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 04:59PM by FlyOnTheWall.
February 19, 2015 09:31AM
I can't remember if I posted it here or not but I still swear he says "when you made your special lunch for my throat" in Resonant Bell World.

I used to make this ginger and garlic chicken soup thing for my ex when she had a sore throat. I assumed that's what was being discussed there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login