Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyrical 'Mishears'

Posted by _PumpkinPie 
Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
April 18, 2011 03:15AM
Also, first time i heard "Seeing Daylight" I thought he was saying "boy oh boy" during the chorus instead of "boil boil"

-These days, these days, we drink a lot of snake oil-
April 18, 2011 07:59AM
[quote=Kathaariancode]
An Asian crests the shadows of a nearby alleyway.[/quote]
I heard this the first time I listened to it too, I suppose it does actually fit into the song quite well.
April 18, 2011 09:35AM
isn't his wife Asian?
April 18, 2011 09:50PM
Here's another one I misheard: in "Adultery," I though it was, "it's an ill will," not "it's an ill wind." It's hardly a battling frog and certainly no mayonnaise (I just realized how weird that must sound if one hasn't been following the conversation), but it's interesting nonetheless.

My music:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamison-Murphy/132504205864?ref=ts
http://jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 09:50PM by Jamison.
April 18, 2011 09:54PM
i thought it was ill will too
April 18, 2011 09:57PM
Nall's site and pretty much every source I can find reiterates that it's "ill wind." It's easier to tell on the video of "Adultery" for KEXP.

My music:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamison-Murphy/132504205864?ref=ts
http://jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 09:57PM by Jamison.
April 19, 2011 01:22AM
Not tMG related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZBlifYggM&feature=related
April 19, 2011 10:12PM
to me the fact that he says wind shouldn't be up for debate at all cuz john wouldn't mangle an idiom like that without good reason

i've been getting a god laugh at these i'll try to recall mine
April 22, 2011 03:20AM
I've been stuck on if in Age of Kings it says "lean on the concrete walls and chat" or it said "lean on the concrete walls in Chatham", so I just looked it up. Apparently it says "lean on the concrete walls in shadow"! Man was I off.

This also reminded me that I used to think Autoclave said "shiek seagulls" instead of "shrieking seagulls".
April 22, 2011 04:09AM
I can't believe I didn't summon New Star Song in the [i]Welding Appropriate tMG Songs[/i] thread - for ages I thought it was 'welded doorway' not 'well-lit doorway'. It kind of made the scene a bit more desolate, imagining that metal plating they put up to discourage squatters, but I don't know how I imagined they could see themselves reflected.

And when I finally looked up the definition of 'if cunvernation/culvernation comes" from Lovecraft in Brookly, those turned out not to be real words and it turned out to be 'if company should come'.

midgoat
April 22, 2011 04:22AM
Ha! I always thought it was "If culmination comes".
April 22, 2011 07:05AM
[quote=_PumpkinPie]
Ha! I always thought it was "If culmination comes".[/quote]

This is also what I've always heard.

I always hear "black tarry asphalt, soft and hot" as "black tarry asphalt, soft and [i]hard[/i]"
April 22, 2011 01:22PM
Soft and Hard?
now that is not you're run of the mill black tarry asphalt
April 22, 2011 02:14PM
[quote=jacobfiala]
Soft and Hard?
now that is not you're run of the mill black tarry asphalt[/quote]

Indeed it isn't.

I guess at a stretch it could've been a metaphor for both the positive and negative aspects of Johns relationship with his stepfather.....

I dropped out of University and my mother's a pirate.
May 06, 2011 04:32PM
Not a mishearing, but my mouth has taken to singing the opening words of Color in Your Cheeks as "Chicane hymn".

midgoat
June 20, 2011 12:36AM
You're mean to Pete!
Why must you be mean to Pete?
You shouldn't forget you see
What you mean to Pete!
June 20, 2011 02:33AM
I'd thought 'Sapphire Trans-Am' was 'Sapphire transom' (never heard of a Trans-Am, & seemed to make some sort of sense with the 'beams', which I have just found out are of light not wood...totally changes the meaning of Michael Myers Resplendent, too).
Now, at least, I like how 'Pontiac' isn't really there, but nonetheless rhymes with 'knuckles crack'.

midgoat
June 22, 2011 12:28PM
Hey everybody!
Long time fan, never posted on a forum in my life, found this last month and I've been having fun reading the opinions of others on my most favoritest band ever. Chose this as my introductory post because my wife and I were talking about this just last night.
For eight years, I felt the most troubling of all Mountain Goats lyrics was in Have To Explode: "Sweating out the poison as the temperature climbs/ Staring up, up at the hundred watt light/ The birds above name one thing about us two anyone could love." This drove me CRAZY. What birds? The peacocks maybe? What are they doing on on the ceiling? Dancing with Lionel Richie? How did those damned birds find something about those two to love while nobody else can? I could go on. It drove me INSANE.
My wife, knowing how I love vinyl, got me the record versions of Tallahassee and Get Lonely for Christmas this past year. Hearing it on the record, I finally got it. "The hundred watt light/ that burns above" made a WHOLE lot more sence.

ps I alway heard "rug"
June 27, 2011 07:28PM
[quote=iatethelotus]
[quote=Jamison]
...a rather bizarre pronunciation to say the least...[/quote]
Well it's forever ruined that song for me!
(P.S. Jamison, I haven't forgotten you, I've got that essay on my other computer and will transfer it over and send it to you when I have a bit more time!)[/quote]

Agreed that Mayonnaise ruined it for me too. It's such a good song but I just hear "mayonnaise" every time I listen. Also re: battling frog, totally heard that too until I read the lyrics. I like battling frog better anyways :D Don't have any to report but some of these mishears are hilarious. I was laughing out loud for a long time.
July 02, 2011 10:51PM
[quote=Jamison]
But in the long tresses of your hair I am a battling frog.[/quote]

Thank god I'm not the only one who heard this!

And a friend of mine made the Battletoads reference when I told him about it once upon a time. Plus this thread gives me deja vu. I could have sworn I posted something just like this in reply to something just like this before... all of it, including Jamison's hearing the lyrics like I had and the Battletoads picture and everything.
July 03, 2011 02:52PM
I don't get lyrical mishears with tMG songs very often, but I did always think the beginning to 1 Samuel 15:23 was "I became a crystal helix"
July 04, 2011 07:29PM
[img]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7977/mishear.jpg[/img]
July 04, 2011 07:55PM
Two posts above this one are win.
July 15, 2011 10:26AM
Hahaha, I spat out the water I was drinking when I read the Dos Equis post.

The 'Have to Explode' mention made me remember I was baffled for the longest time by what I thought was "name one thing about us [b]to[/b] anyone could love". I thought it might have been "to anyone [i]who[/i] could love" but that barely made more sense. It was at least a year after vigorously listening to the Tallahassee that I heard it the right way.

Welcome leesometimes!
July 26, 2011 03:27PM
[quote="Moses Moses"]
This isn't funny by any means but since I was filled with so much rage at my mistake, I'll share it.
Up until I heard tMG play Southwood Plantation Road live, I thought the final line was "And go with unsuspecting Christian men." When he played it live, he said, "Mingle with unsuspecting Christian men," and I just thought it was some cool spur-of-the-moment alternate lyrics. Then I listened to other live recordings and they all said "mingle." Then I re-listened to the album version over and over, possibly twenty times and I've realized my entire tMG fanhood has been a lie. Shook my entire belief system. Not good times.[/quote]

On the same note, in Southwood Plantation Road, the line, "Put on your Sunday best, mingle with unsuspecting Christian men", I always thought was "put on your Sunday dress." Then I changed it to "put on your Sunday vest".
It wasn't until I saw the tabs that I realized that my lyrics were silly and made no sense.

ON ANOTHER SLIGHTLY RELATED NOTE.
I just listened to Going to Utrecht again and laughed my ass off.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login