Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyrical 'Mishears'

April 17, 2011 01:23AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Jamison
...a rather bizarre pronunciation to say the least...
Well it's forever ruined that song for me!
(P.S. Jamison, I haven't forgotten you, I've got that essay on my other computer and will transfer it over and send it to you when I have a bit more time!)
April 17, 2011 02:22AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
jacobfiala
SHHHRRRUULILILWUUHHHDDDUUUHHH!

and aviator shades

Hilarious and I too had a similar experience xD
April 17, 2011 07:00AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
It took me a long time to figure out that it was "rug" instead of "rock" in Distant Stations.
April 17, 2011 10:35AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Mayonnaise info here and here.

Mark 6:4, indeed.
April 17, 2011 10:53AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Uhm excuse me... Do you have any battletoads?
April 17, 2011 11:41AM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
jacobfiala
Uhm excuse me... Do you have any battletoads?
exactly.
April 17, 2011 02:17PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Nic33rd
It took me a long time to figure out that it was "rug" instead of "rock" in Distant Stations.
YES! I only found out it was 'rug' when Wye Oak posted this picture of a (third photo, w/ the hand) pebble JD gave them and I was going to say 'that's like the rock in Distant Stations!' but I decided to check my facts. It's not like a rug at all...

I'm still disappointed it's not 'kung-fu the carpet for clues'.

midgoat
April 17, 2011 02:26PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
wait, what? He finds a rug outside in Distant Stations? Is that for real? I'm sticking with rock.
April 17, 2011 03:30PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
dtrom4
wait, what? He finds a rug outside in Distant Stations? Is that for real? I'm sticking with rock.
According to some sources. I can hear both. My 'for rugs' include 'rock' at the beginning makes the rock thrown at the crow a bit awkward: to mention another rock and do so ignoring the first rock, rocks have a tendency to be old in human terms, and 'rug' would mean I can stop looking for a Distant Stations rock at pebble beaches. My 'for rocks' include WTF are ya doing digging up a rug...

midgoat
April 17, 2011 03:44PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
StatusFrustratio
dtrom4
According to some sources. I can hear both. My 'for rugs' include 'rock' at the beginning makes the rock thrown at the crow a bit awkward: to mention another rock and do so ignoring the first rock, rocks have a tendency to be old in human terms, and 'rug' would mean I can stop looking for a Distant Stations rock at pebble beaches. My 'for rocks' include WTF are ya doing digging up a rug...

BLOWS MY MIND

It's just a noise. A noise you hear. When everything is awesome
April 17, 2011 04:22PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
From Chanson du Bon Chose

"and i wondered where you buried our dark little jew"

PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HEARS THIS

-These days, these days, we drink a lot of snake oil-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 10:13PM by LearningHowToBreathe.
April 17, 2011 04:51PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
This isn't funny by any means but since I was filled with so much rage at my mistake, I'll share it.
Up until I heard tMG play Southwood Plantation Road live, I thought the final line was "And go with unsuspecting Christian men." When he played it live, he said, "Mingle with unsuspecting Christian men," and I just thought it was some cool spur-of-the-moment alternate lyrics. Then I listened to other live recordings and they all said "mingle." Then I re-listened to the album version over and over, possibly twenty times and I've realized my entire tMG fanhood has been a lie. Shook my entire belief system. Not good times.
April 17, 2011 06:17PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
LHTB
PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HEARS THIS

you are.

and for the record, i am standing with nall, dtrom and others on "rock" not "rug." it's an uttered thing on the album version, but i think it's just how he said it on the day; remember, there were no [pointless] endless overdubs then...

i just sit here in my cave and absorb your facts and figures.
April 17, 2011 07:09PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Moses Moses
This isn't funny by any means but since I was filled with so much rage at my mistake, I'll share it.
Up until I heard tMG play Southwood Plantation Road live, I thought the final line was "And go with unsuspecting Christian men." When he played it live, he said, "Mingle with unsuspecting Christian men," and I just thought it was some cool spur-of-the-moment alternate lyrics. Then I listened to other live recordings and they all said "mingle." Then I re-listened to the album version over and over, possibly twenty times and I've realized my entire tMG fanhood has been a lie. Shook my entire belief system. Not good times.
Catherine's Kid was telling me about that. I thought the exact same thing! Well, I thought it was, "then go with..."
April 17, 2011 07:30PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
LearningHowToBreathe
"Our mother has been absent since the day we found Tyrone"

Ironically, given your sig:

"Fire-bellied toad number five, from what may or may not have been a limited series, opened up his little mouth as though to speak. And then he spoke and then he spoke to me, and he said: 'you can't holler down our rain barrel. You can't climb our apple tree. I don't want to play in your yard if you won't be good to me.' Honey, it was downright creepy..."

Internal quote is from Peggy Lee's "I Don't Wanna Play In Your Yard".
April 17, 2011 07:56PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
I still stand by rock. It's always been rock to me, and unless John has said himself that it was rug, it will continue to be rock.

April 17, 2011 08:20PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Johnp
LearningHowToBreathe
"Our mother has been absent since the day we found Tyrone"

Ironically, given your sig:

"Fire-bellied toad number five, from what may or may not have been a limited series, opened up his little mouth as though to speak. And then he spoke and then he spoke to me, and he said: 'you can't holler down our rain barrel. You can't climb our apple tree. I don't want to play in your yard if you won't be good to me.' Honey, it was downright creepy..."

Internal quote is from Peggy Lee's "I Don't Wanna Play In Your Yard".

Thanks for tellin' me. I wasn't familiar with the quote so I just wrote it as I heard it in the song

April 17, 2011 08:38PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
LearningHowToBreathe
Thanks for tellin' me. I wasn't familiar with the quote so I just wrote it as I heard it in the song

No sweat. tmg.net and all the lyric sites (who seem to swipe off tmg.net anyway) have it the way you did. I'm pretty sure it's "a limited" rather than "unlimited" too.
April 17, 2011 08:51PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Jamison
But in the long tresses of your hair I am a battling frog.

Until I read this... I thought those were the actual lyrics....

I feel pathetic... tongue sticking out smiley
April 17, 2011 09:29PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Several things.
First, iatethelotus, awesome, and I'm looking forward to reading it!
Second, how the hell did I start a conversation about a video game featuring violent amphibians? I'm sort of perversely proud.
Third, dcorrigan, do not feel ashamed. I was in denial about it not being "battling frog" for several months.

My music:
[www.facebook.com]
[jamisonmurphy.bandcamp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 09:29PM by Jamison.
April 17, 2011 09:48PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
An Asian crests the shadows of a nearby alleyway.

"But not me,
I'm gonna crawl,
I'm gonna crawl,
I'm gonna crawl,
Back to the sea."

"Goddamit, I love John Coltrane."
April 17, 2011 10:45PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Jamison
Second, how the hell did I start a conversation about a video game featuring violent amphibians? I'm sort of perversely proud.

[www.youtube.com]

April 17, 2011 11:07PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Johnp
LearningHowToBreathe

No sweat. tmg.net and all the lyric sites (who seem to swipe off tmg.net anyway) have it the way you did. I'm pretty sure it's "a limited" rather than "unlimited" too.

I just noticed how off those lyrics are from what I thought they were! I also think it's "damp forest" instead of "damn forest."

I make videos for the interwebs. Click to taste the insanity.
My band has a Facebook. This is the link.
April 17, 2011 11:09PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
SlowWestVulture
Johnp
LearningHowToBreathe

I just noticed how off those lyrics are from what I thought they were! I also think it's "damp forest" instead of "damn forest."

I've always taken it as "damp" as well. However, since most other lyrics sites rip from TMG.net, only one person incorrectly transcribing it can lead to a whole domino effect of misconception... If that makes sense. Lol

April 17, 2011 11:37PM | Re: Lyrical 'Mishears'
Jamison
But in the long tresses of your hair I am a battling frog.
Wow, this entire time I thought the line was "battling frog" and that it was a reference to the story about a frog being boiled alive.

Edit: I just listened to Broom People again. "Book" does rhyme with "brook" better than "frog."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 11:42PM by trurl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 5 on October 06, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 62 on October 26, 2014